Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rodneyc8063
Helper V
Helper V

Pivot Table/Matrix - Can I use values as a column heading?

Hopefully this is a silly question with an easy answer 

I am trying to re-create a pivot table from OBIEE - I understand the equivalent to a pivot table in Power BI is a matrix visual.

I created the following matrix below

TEST.jpg

What I actually want to do is have the columns [Application Count] and [Highest Application Count] as the headers, and the TERM_DESC as a sub heading like this table below

test2.jpg

Basically I was wondering whether, with a matrix visual, is it possible for me to move around some things to get different groupings with header columns?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
danno
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi, one option you could use is to employ a SWITCH statement with a measures list table to get your measures in your pivot to be shown as you need.  

1. Create a small table with 2 rows - 

Measure                              Order

Application Count               1

Highest Application Count  2

2. Create a Selected Measure  = SELECTEDVALUE([Measure])

3. Create the Switch Statement for the Measures you want to put into the pivot. 

Magic Measure = SWITCH(SelectedMeasure, "Application Count", [Application Count], "Highest Application Count", [Highest Application Count]) 

4. Add the Magic Measure to your Values, 

5. Add the [Measure] Column from your Measures table to the Columns above the Date. 

This is a useful technique to treat measures as column or row headings and gives slightly more flexibility to your pivoting. 

Hi @danno 

Im not sure I quite follow your idea, as I tried it and it didnt seem to work as I was hoping

If its not too much to ask, would you possibly have a working example of your suggestion?

I would upload my data to let others play with it but Im using direct query at the moment so it would be messy for me to upload a sample 

Thank you for the suggestion

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.