Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pie chart showing labels for zero values

Hello,

I am using a pie chart as shown below. For some reason, a value of 0.00 is being labeled by default when it should not be. The chart in question is displaying resource hours by category. This particular resource does not have any hours in this category at all. Not even a tiny fractional amount. It is also worth noting that there are several other categories with zero hours, and those are not being labeled. I only want to show labels for categories that have hours attributed to them. Is there a way I can fix this?

This screenshot shows what I am referring to:

SampleChart.PNG

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Perhaps try doing a visual filter for the value of > 0?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Greg,

Thank you for the response. I thought of trying to use a filter but that introduces a different problem. All of the visual level filters seem to be "frozen". I am unable to click the dropdowns or use the radio buttons to edit the filter. Additional searches have revealed that this must be because the numbers have already been aggregated. Unfortunately I don't have any ability to manipulate the source data I am recieving. 

Filter.PNG

Ahhh, is this a live connection then (DirectQuery) versus import?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Greg,

Yep, that is correct. Someone else created a view in SSMS which the report is connected to. 

Thanks!

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous David, why don't you delete "0" from query editor as shon below, even if its Direct Query we should be able to do this right?

can you please give us more info why we are taking this approach.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @itsmebvk

Basically I have been provided with a view that is laid out similarly to the screenshot below. Each record represents a resource submitting their hours each day. These hours are divided between categories such as Implementation and Support. I am unable to filter rows based on the value of a single column since that would cause the loss of other data stored on that row. At this time I have just been asked to create some visualizations for this data. Unfortunately I do not have control over how it is being provided.

All columns storing resource hours have been set to a data type of Decimal Number. Are there any other details I can provide that might help uncover a solution?

Sample.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just thought I would try one more time to see if anyone has a potential solution. I would rather not publish this to others until this has been fixed. Here is another instance of it happening, but this time for three different categories on the same chart. I manually double checked the values for these categories and the given time period in the source data. Again, the highlighted categories have absolutely zero hours attributed to them. I do not understand what is causing them to be labeled on the chart.

SampleChart2.PNG

Thanks everyone!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.