Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pie Charts/Others not acting as Filter or Slicer

I've encountered an issue that I simply cannot figure out. I believe it may be a bug in Power BI.  I have a DAX measure that does a RANKX on [Supplier].  I then I have a stacked bar chart with [Supplier] (Axis), [Tier] (Legend), and [Amount] (Value) - the DAX measure that RANKS [Supplier] is then set to IS LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO 25 in the Visual Level Filter, so I return the Top 25 [Supplier] in the stacked bar chart.   I also have a pie chart that has [Operating Area] (Legend), and [% of Amount] (Value).  When I select a [Operating Area] in the pie chart, the stacked bar dynamically displays the Top 25 Suppliers for that selection - For example, when I select "West" as a [Operating Area] in the pie chart, the stacked bar chart shows me the Top 25 Suppliers for "West" based on Amount (desc - per the DAX calculation). Which is working perfectly fine!  Additionally I should note that both charts are set to “Filter” interaction, rather than highlighting.

However, the problem occurs when I select a Supplier within the stacked bar chart that is NOT in the Top 25 for all Operating Areas.  Take for example, in the default view with all [Operating Area] showing in the pie chart, and Top 25 Suppliers in stacked bar chart.  Let’s say I have "Company A", "Company B", "Company C" (insert up to 25…) showing in the stacked bar chart – again, this is for ALL Operating Areas.   Now I select "West" in the pie chart for the [Operating Area] and all other [Operating Areas] are dimmed out. "Company B", "Company 1", "Company 2" (insert up to 25), shows up in the stacked bar chart. When I select “Company B” in the stacked bar chart all is fine. However, when I selected “Company 1”, the stacked bar chart does not filter to “Company 1”, but rather defaults back to the original Top 25 for all Operating Areas. In other words, if the Supplier selected is not in the original Top 25 by [Operating Area], you cannot select the [Supplier] in the stacked bar chart. The pie chart is NOT acting as a filter? If I add a slicer or filter for [Operating Area] and select “West” everything works properly in the stacked bar chart. This is not just limited to pie charts interactions, but also with others.

15 REPLIES 15
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As you have added a visual filter condition based on the measure Supplier Rank, the cascading highlight result is right what you have got. To achieve your requirment, you need to remove this measure from Visual level filters pane.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft Can you explain how I limit the visual to only Top 10 and get the result without using a Visual Level filter condtion?  Is there another way to achieve this?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous I guess the ALL(Fact[Tier]) function in the Ranking Measure causes this behaviour

I thought the suggestion by @Anonymous here (a differenet post) might help but I can't get it to work either...

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-display-only-the-top-10-values-in-a-chart/td-p/32335

his suggestion on bottom of page 1

Decided to forward to you - may give you an idea... or you may make it work...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sean - Thanks.  I tried doing that earlier today, but got the same results when using the IF statement.  I'll keep looking, but will probably just have to work-around it or not use the visual level filter, unfortunately.  😞

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

From your description, it's hard for us to reproduce the issue. Would you please share .pbix file for us to analyze whether it's a bug? You can use some sample data to create a report which can indicates the issue then share it to us.

Thanks,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft - I have shared a PBIX in which I was able to reproduce the issue using Excel as a source.  Let me know if are you able to explain the behavior.  Thanks.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous I'm still looking at this from time to time - to see if notice something else...

Here's kind of a summary - maybe someone else will notice something in the meantime

PowerBI - Issue.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will see if I can re-create it using some sample data. My pbix file is currently connected to an SSAS tabular model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to duplicate the issue using data from an Excel file. The Power BI file and Excel source file can be found at the fileshare link below.

http://fileshare.pro/rw

If i need to share this another way, just let me know or private message me with your e-mail.  I didn't see an option to upload a file on the community.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Thanks. Just so you know I've been looking at it and yes company S is in the Central... Hmmm...Company S.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sean Yes, but in the example "Company S" was not in the original Top 5 for all OAs.  Same occurs for  Companys not "V -Z"...but when you select "V-Z" all is well.   My theory is that there is some sort of bug behind the scenes that isn't sending data back between the chart objects.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I can't seem to duplicate this!

You can remove all labels, axis info etc.. Can you post a screenshot?

Bottom pic shows - bar (its in top 10) selected thats not in top 5 in Pie

Rank Interactions.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's kind of a hard to show with screenshots, but i'll try.  You almost have to see it interact....here it goes 🙂 Thanks for replying and trying this on your side, BTW!

pwbi_issue_pic1.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

I can't seem to duplicate this!

Can you share your Ranking Measure formulas (you can change to generic column names if you have to)?

Are you combining RANKX with TOPN?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Supplier Rank:=CALCULATE (
        RANKX (
            ALLSELECTED (Supplier[Supplier] ),
            [Amount],,
            DENSE
        ),
        ALL ( Fact[Tier] )
    )

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.