Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Andvil
Helper V
Helper V

Pie Chart Grouped By Ranking

Hello to everyone,

I am trying to group a pie chart of many courier company sales considering the following aspects:

• Company X, Company Y and Company Z, which are top 2, 4 and 5 respectively, must have their own independent slice
  • Group top 5 companies in another slice, this slice does not include Company X, Y and Z as each of them should have their own slice. Label it "Other Couriers Top 5"
  • Group the other companies in another slice under the label "Others"

Therefore, I would have 5 different slices in my pie chart and every month that I update my database, the pie chart will also update the top 5 couriers according to their sales.

I will be extremely grateful for your help, I have been stuck in this issue for a while.

Best, 

Jalv

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Andvil ,

Actually, what that user created is calculated table not measure or calculated column. If you used his provided formula with calculated table, it works well. Please check the below screen shot. 

rank companies.JPG

In addition, there is another method: create 5 different measure to display the summarized sales of these 5 five partitions.

5 measures.JPG

You can refer the details of both methods in this link.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Andvil ,

As checked the formula which you created in your report file, it is CORRECT.  And why those specific 3 companies didn't display in Pie Chart besides others and top 5 companies, it is due to companies "ENTREGAS ESPECIALES ESPENTREGAS S.A.", "DHL EXPRESS ECUADOR S.A." and "LAARCOURIER EXPRESS S.A." with very small proportion as compared with others and top 5 companies group. So they cannot be displayed on Pie Chart. Maybe you can use other visual(for example: clustered column chart etc. ) to represent the proportion just like below screen shot.

pie chart issue_u.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Andvil ,

Could you please provide some sample data? The pie chart will be divided into 5 parts with these values just like below screen shot? Whether the following screen shot is your expected result? 

1. Company X

2. Company Y

3. Company Z

4. Top 5 companies except company X,Y and Z

5. The left companies

pie chart.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Hello @v-yiruan-msft 

Another user helped me with this formula, but when using it in the original report, I receive the error "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value"

Rank table =
VAR tab =
    FILTER (
        SUMMARIZE ( 'Table', 'Table'[Company], "Sales", SUM ( 'Table'[Sales] ) ),
        NOT ( [Company] IN { "Company X", "Company Y", "Company Z" } )
    )
VAR newtab =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( tab, "Rank", RANKX ( tab, [Sales] ) )
VAR _table =
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Company],
        "Sales", SUM ( 'Table'[Sales] ),
        "Group",
        VAR _company = [Company]
        RETURN
            IF (
                _company IN { "Company Z", "Company Y", "Company X" },
                [Company],
                VAR x =
                    SUMX ( FILTER ( newtab, [Company] = _company ), [Rank] )
                RETURN
                    IF ( x >= 1 && x <= 5, "Ohter Top 5 Countries", "Others" )
            )
    )
RETURN
    _table

Furthermore, the next thing I would like to do is filter according 2 different categories. For example, I want to have the pie chart where I can filter according to "documents" or "packages". If I select the filter "documents", the pie chart calculates the top 5 companies with more sales in the category Documents, and if I want to display the market share regarding only packages, then I filter packages and the pie chart updates with the top 5 regarding packages.

It would be the same excercise but adding the option to separate or filter between two categories.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best,

Jose Lopez

Hello @jlopezentregas ,

Actually, what that user created is the calculatedtab, the column is not measured or calculated. If you used your formula provided with calculated table, it works well. Please check the following screenshot.

rank companies.JPG

In addition, there is another method: create 5 different measures to show the summarized sales of these 5 five partitions.

5 measures.JPG

You can see the details of both methods in this link.

Best regards

Rena

Hi @Andvil ,

Actually, what that user created is calculated table not measure or calculated column. If you used his provided formula with calculated table, it works well. Please check the below screen shot. 

rank companies.JPG

In addition, there is another method: create 5 different measure to display the summarized sales of these 5 five partitions.

5 measures.JPG

You can refer the details of both methods in this link.

Best Regards

Rena

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

Thank you for your answer! Now I was able to create the calculated table, thank you for the advice. But, when I create the pie chart it does not show the 5 slices. It only shows the "other" group.

Thank you very much for all the comments and help provided.

Best,

Jose L

Hi @Andvil ,

As checked the formula which you created in your report file, it is CORRECT.  And why those specific 3 companies didn't display in Pie Chart besides others and top 5 companies, it is due to companies "ENTREGAS ESPECIALES ESPENTREGAS S.A.", "DHL EXPRESS ECUADOR S.A." and "LAARCOURIER EXPRESS S.A." with very small proportion as compared with others and top 5 companies group. So they cannot be displayed on Pie Chart. Maybe you can use other visual(for example: clustered column chart etc. ) to represent the proportion just like below screen shot.

pie chart issue_u.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.