Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Frequent Visitor

Physical Date table vs Code

When deciding on a date table for a report is it recommended to import a physical table from the warehouse or generate one via code? Does the generated table get persisted, or does the report have to generate it each time its loaded? Does one perform better than the other or does it make no difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@177280 , Both will take space, Refresh will depend on what changes are required, even if you bring a DB table that also need to refreshed.

I feel power BI date table give lot of flexibility. But if there is one in a database all set, why to create again in power bi, just mark it as the date table.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @amitchandak. I also did a test where I created 2 blank reports, loaded 1 with a 45,000 row date table from the warehouse, and in the other created a 45,000 date table from code. I then put a date slicer on each and loaded a table with the dates and looked at the Performance Analyzer. Every test between the 2 was less than 100ms apart, and the slowest test was just 400ms so you really can't even tell any performance difference. I also tool a look at the report file sizes, and the code version was 3x the size of the one loaded from the database, but again the files are so small that the difference may even be something else (637kb vs 1,827kb respectively)

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@177280 , Both will take space, Refresh will depend on what changes are required, even if you bring a DB table that also need to refreshed.

I feel power BI date table give lot of flexibility. But if there is one in a database all set, why to create again in power bi, just mark it as the date table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.