Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

szlipcsei
Frequent Visitor

Person or Group based names appearing on PowerBI

Hi there,

When I link a sharepoint list to PowerBI and try to use the "Person or Group" based name columns, the names will not appear, but numbers. And I can't really work with numbers at all when I need to filter for names etc.

This is how it looks on PowerBI:

Person or Group ID.JPG

This is how it looks on the connected SP:

SP Column.JPG

Thanks, Szilárd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @szlipcsei,

Person and group type columns in SharePoint list are lookup columns which fields lookup into another SharePoint list, so you will get the value expressed as "Record" in Query Editor. You can follow Vicky_Song's suggestions in this thread: How to display an assigned user in a sharepoint list in Power BI (o365)?.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
hemal_kanjia
Helper I
Helper I

Can anyone give the solution step by step ?

I am also facing the same issue.

Thanks in advance....

Sure. When you are on the Edit Query, go to the column called Field value as text.

FVAT.JPG

Select the columns what you want to have as text.

Select column.JPGyou want to have as text only (so not the numbers)

Hi, I'm having the same issue, all solutions have been based on desktop app and I can't see the same question asked for Power BI service (I'm a Mac user) 

Following/commenting to see replies. 

Thanks 

The instruction provided works if the look up is in a list within the SP site. However consider,

-SharePoint Column named "Employee Name" is set as Person or Group

-It is pulling names from another source such as Workday

-when using the expand option and picking the column, it pulled in the Employee Name

-when the dataset freshes, it does not pull the most recently entered data into the report. I can see the new entries in SharePoint List but not in the Power BI report. 

this way worked for me, thank you!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @szlipcsei,

Person and group type columns in SharePoint list are lookup columns which fields lookup into another SharePoint list, so you will get the value expressed as "Record" in Query Editor. You can follow Vicky_Song's suggestions in this thread: How to display an assigned user in a sharepoint list in Power BI (o365)?.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The instruction provided works if the look up is in a list within the SP site. However consider,

-SharePoint Column named "Employee Name" is set as Person or Group

-It is pulling names from another source such as Workday

-when using the expand option and picking the column, it pulled in the Employee Name

-when the dataset fresches, it does not pull the most recently entered data into the report. I can see the new entries in SharePoint List but not in the Power BI report. 

The post doesn't make sense. Where's an actual solution? When you follow those instructions, you still get nothing but numeric IDs instead of the names that you want. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.