Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DTreg2

Permissions and Filtering on a dataset?

Hello,

I have a dataset and report that summarizes data across multiple projects. I want to share the dataset to one of the projects so they can build their own reports on it but I only want to share it to them with their projects data filtered, not all of the other projects data.

Is this possible and if so, how would it be done?

Essentially sharing a filtered set of data within a full dataset.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DTreg2 , Use RLS, I think that should help.

Thanks @amitchandak, I'm looking at that now but it brought up another question. So I create a project RLS group for that specific project but the intent is to provide that to the project PBI admin so they can build reports off it for their own end users (project specific).

The question is, will those end users on that project inheret the same RLS of the data that I've given to the project admin or will the report be blank until they are directly added to the main dataset RLS project group? If they DO have to be added directly, is there a more dynamic way to automatically add them based on who has access to that projects report so that I don't have to continually add people to the RLS?

I know I could create a security group but the project report is already up and running and has users with direct access to it, I'm just going to provide them with more datasets to use and I don't want to back track everything that's setup. Ideally I'm thinking it would be great to be able to say ok, whoever has access to this "report" will be put into this RLS project group by association.

Another issue I found with the RLS approach is that I can't assign Microsoft 365 groups to a security role but I can assign it to direct access to the report...doesn't make sense. We use Teams groups to assign to reports sometimes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.