Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Period slicer to also calculate YTD Slicer

Hi, 

I have a date defintion table on with dates which correspond to the financial year and period they fall in.

Data Table:

Date

GBP Value

Period Definition table:

Date

Financial Year

Period

(Key is by date)

I've been using this fine to slice reports by financial year and period.

However on some reports I have to have two slicers; one is a single select period slicer so visualisations display data for the selected period and a second slicer which is a range slicer so it displays year start to selected period data. However having the users change two slicers isn't ideal...

What I'm trying to do it make it so when a user selects a period in the single select dropdown, rather than needing to change the second filter my visualisations use some form of a <= measure on the period slicer. 

example.PNG

Above is what I'm trying to achieve without the need for the range slicer.

(I do have other columns and slicers that come into play but left them out for simplicity)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm not sure I got you. You want to change the period slicer and show the data which is less than the selected period. Do I understand correctly? If so, you could reference my steps.

• Create a new table with the period column to as a slicer.  There is no relationships among the tables.
Table = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Period Definition'[Period])

5.PNG2.PNG

• Create a measure
Measure = 
var sele = SELECTEDVALUE('Period Slicer'[Period])
var result = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[GBP Values]),FILTER('Period Definition','Period Definition'[Period] <= sele))
return
IF(ISFILTERED('Period Slicer'[Period]),result, SUM(Data[GBP Values]))

6.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm not sure I got you. You want to change the period slicer and show the data which is less than the selected period. Do I understand correctly? If so, you could reference my steps.

• Create a new table with the period column to as a slicer.  There is no relationships among the tables.
Table = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Period Definition'[Period])

5.PNG2.PNG

• Create a measure
Measure = 
var sele = SELECTEDVALUE('Period Slicer'[Period])
var result = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[GBP Values]),FILTER('Period Definition','Period Definition'[Period] <= sele))
return
IF(ISFILTERED('Period Slicer'[Period]),result, SUM(Data[GBP Values]))

6.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xuding-msft 

Thanks, your answer got me 99% of the way there. 

I just needed a second measure replacing 'Period Definition'[Period] <= sele with 'Period Definition'[Period] = sele then a table filter for the second table where Measure 2 IS NOT BLANK got the desired result. 

example.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.