Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dusdau
Helper II
Helper II

Performing Data Staging/Transformations in Power BI vs SQL

Hi All,

My boss and I are having a discussion about doing data transformations in Power BI (Power Query) vs doing them in SQL with views/sprocs/T-SQL. As a result of that I am trying to come up with some advantages and disadvantages to doing our transformations in either platform. I am hoping the group could help add to this discussion.

Here is what I have so far...

Power BI

Advantages to doing transformation in Power Query:

• Fewer tables/views/sprocs muddying up SQL databases - Resulting in cleaner SQL dbs, less maintenance & less chance of breakage (who moved my cheese!?)
  • Doesn't require SQL Server access - A business analyst or other user can see what is being done or takeover Power BI models if they know Power BI but don't have access to SQL
  • Easier to see all transformations - easier to see what transformations have been done on data in Power Query (rather than going back and forth between SQL and Power BI)
  • Faster once you are proficient in Power Query/M language

Potential Concerns

• All logic tied to Power BI - if need to move to another platform (Tableau...gasp!) may be harder to reuse

SQL

Advantages to doing staging/transformations in T-SQL views/sprocs etc:

• Can do more complex queries with T-SQL (I've run into a couple that I just had to do in SQL as it was too complicated in Power Query)
  • Possible re-use of objects with other applications
  • Provides another layer for logic not tied to Power BI

I realize there may be various reasons why you would do things in both Power BI and SQL, just looking for some thoughts and guidelines from the group.

Personally I am trying to do things in Power BI if I can, but if it gets too complex then i revert to SQL.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dustin

1 REPLY 1

Hi @dusdau ,

thanks for sharing.

Please give Kudos for support.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Looking for German Power BI content? Visit my blog.
http://www.thinkbi.de/

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.