Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Performance issue with R custom Visual in Power BI

Hi,

I have observed R Custom visual and also Custom visual created using pbiviz runs extremely slow in Power BI.

I just have 10 records and few data manipulation columns.

It takes more than 20 secs to load the report.

Any known performance issue ?

Regards,

Akash

8 REPLIES 8
Marco57
Helper III
Helper III

Same issue after so many years  ... not because it is custom means should be done in such bad way : 45 s for xy plot

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@akj2784,

Could you please share sample data of your table and the R script you use? Also what is the custom visual do you use? How many idle RAM in your machine?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am trying to plot waterfall chart using plot_ly library. We have 128 GB RAM on the server. And have sufficient idle RAM.

That custom visual is totally custom created using pbiviz by following the below URL

http://radacad.com/interactive-map-using-r-and-power-bi-create-custom-visual-part-1

If I raise an SR will microsoft support custom Visual issues ?

Regards,

Akash

Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted MS support before about custom visual issues and was told that it was outside of the scope of the support included in a pro license. 

Regarding your specific case, it depends on what you are doing in your R code, what data you are loading etc.

The only generic advice I can offer is, does it perform similarly poorly in another enviroment such as RStudio, does it perform differently on desktop vs the service/report server.

Thanks Thomas. 

As I mentioned, it works fine in RStudio. And total number of records r just 10.

But when I see the same report in Power BI Service/Desktop it is very slow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You mentioned you are doing data manipulation in the R script, one suggestion would be do do this before laoding the data into the visual.

One thing to check is that your power bi desktop is using the same version of R as your Rstudio as there may have been performance improvements in some updates to R that RStudio is using that power bi may not be if it is running of an older version.

Hi,

Any news on this topic?

Thanks,

Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates? Suffering from the same problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors