Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aviku
Frequent Visitor

Performance enhancement tricks when using Direct Query to get data from SQL server

Hi,

I am using PBI Desktop to create PBIX files which I later upload to Power BI Embedded (PaaS solution). The PBIX gets data from Azure SQL server in Direct Query mode. I want to increase the efficiency of queries that Power BI Embedded sends to SQL for getting my data.

Please advice if the following options will help me increase the efficiency of queries, thus reducing the time taken by the pbix to load: -

1. Using Advanced Options in the Get Data dialog box : Inserting a SQL statement here will get only specific data instead of the entire table. This will reduce the data I see in PBI Desktop, but will it really increase the efficiency of queries sent to SQL for the creation of charts? Eg: Say PBIX needs to create a join between two tables. If I use the advanced options, will the Join be done on reduced data?

2. Using Filters to filter out unwanted rows of the table : Again like above option, this will reduce the data I see in PBI Desktop, but will it really increase the efficiency of queries sent to SQL for the creation of charts? Eg: If I use filters, will the Join be done on reduced data?

Please redirect this to appropriate forums as necessary

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @aviku,

Based on my understanding both the options above will help increase the efficiency of queries, as all queries sent to the source database will run against only specific data instead of the entire table in this scenario, thus reducing the time that back-end source takes to respond.Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.