Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LouStagner
Frequent Visitor

Performance Questions - 2 of them

Howdy!

I use PowerBI desktop often for data shaping (for machine learning projects).  My data science friends are always blown away at what Power BI can easily do.

2 questions around performance:

Question 1:

I am getting a new personal desktop.  My old one has an Intel i5 6400 quad core 2.70GHz with 8GB RAM.  My new desktop has an Intel i5 8600k with 6 cores 3.6GHz with 64GB RAM.

Will I notice much of a performance improvement for "resource intensive" tasks with the new desktop?   ...  or was the old desktop sufficient enough and the new desktop won't make much performance difference?

Question 2:

I have some data manipulation work I am doing. There are 2 tables in the mix. The primary data table has ~200 columns and 9,000 rows. You can think of the second table as a "custom calendar" type of deal. That table is there for moving average usage.  This is the "lookup" table I reference when implementing Rob Collie's "Greatest Formula In The World" approach for moving averages and moving sums. The secondary table also has 9,000 rows.  All those rows are needed and I am not able to skinny that "custom calendar" table down.  

I did a bunch of prep work to shape the data. Then I had created 195 measures using Collie's "Greatest" formual to get rolling values. I added all 195 measures to a table visualization on a Power BI tab. I added a single filter so I can run my output in "chunks".  For 1/3rd of the data, it takes 60 minutes for the table visualization to populate and then another 15 minutes for me to export the output to a csv file. I need to do this 3 times to get all of my data exported. 

I have read that the Filter function can really impact performance (I *think* it's because it limits what can be processed in parallel). 

Are there any recommendations on how I might approach this differently to speed up performance? As an FYI, this is not a user-facing tool. It is NOT for users. This is me using PowerBI to quickly do some kick-butt data manipulation that in other tools would be crazy difficult to pull off. 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
LouStagner
Frequent Visitor

Any ideas on this?  I am stumped on ideal approach regarding question 2...

Hi
Sorry for being late since I had a vocation past few days.

Question1: this article introduces the minimum requirements to run Power BI Desktop, a high-level hardware will improve performance to a certain extent, but not a lot.

Question2: since there are big datasets and lots of measures, it leads to a slow performance on reports.
I search for some tips to improve performance.
power-bi-reports-performance

slicers-performance

an article regarding fully aspects of Power BI performance.

Best Regards
Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.