Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perform additional steps depending on a value / variable

Hi all

I have a tricky task. I am building a hierarchy based on a parent/child table. Unfortunately, I do not know how many levels the hierarchy will have. And even worse, it's subject to change from time to time.

So what I would like to do is query the parent/child table as long as necessary. E.g. if I find out that in level 3 there will not be any more children, the next steps should not be performed.

Is that possible?

How?

Thanks

Christian

4 REPLIES 4
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my understanding, you want to limit users to see their own data and the users have a hierarchy, am I right?

I would you suggest you use dynamic rls by organization hierarchy: https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-organizational-hierarchy-power-bi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is still not what I am looking for. Forget about the hierarchy options.

This is more about performing additional steps when querying the data. And about performing steps depending on a given value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I am sorry, that does not help. What I want to do is perform additional steps in the data source gathering depending on informations from that data source.

Simple example: 

I am getting data from a source which is a list of all bosses. I then want do see their direct reports. And for them, again the direct reports. And this should be done as long as there are direct reports.

The reason why the classical hierarchy does not work is that there might be direct reports with more than 1 boss and the hierarchy does not come in columns, but in rows...

Hope this is more clear now.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm not getting clear from your requirement. But in model view, you can create hierarchy easily.

Capture.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.