Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Percentage of vendor applications with errors for any time range

Hi there,

Here is some demo data to describe my issue:

Untitled.png

What I want to do, is for any given date range show the percentage of a Vendor's applications that have at least one Error in the Log table for the specified date range.  In other words, if my date range were to cover all of January 2019 then the result would be:

Infosoft 50%

Pearsoft 0%

This is because there are two ERROR entries for "Spreadshet 500" in January, so that application does have errors, but no entries for "Mail Client 500", therefore 50% of Infosoft's applications in that time period have one or more errors.

If however the filter was changed to just January 1st then the result would be:

Infosoft 0%

Pearsoft 0%

This is because none of the applications logged errors on the 1st January.

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

If I assume your tables are named Log, Application and Vendor, you could write a measure like this:

Application % with at least one error = 
VAR ApplicationCount =
    COUNTROWS ( Applications )
VAR ApplicationCountWithError =
    IF (
        ApplicationCount,
        // Add zero to ensure 0% is returned rather than blank in cases with no ERRORs
        CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Log'[ApplicationId] ), 'Log'[EntryType] = "ERROR" ) + 0
    )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( ApplicationCountWithError, ApplicationCount )

This worked for me in a dummy model - does it work in your model?

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

If I assume your tables are named Log, Application and Vendor, you could write a measure like this:

Application % with at least one error = 
VAR ApplicationCount =
    COUNTROWS ( Applications )
VAR ApplicationCountWithError =
    IF (
        ApplicationCount,
        // Add zero to ensure 0% is returned rather than blank in cases with no ERRORs
        CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Log'[ApplicationId] ), 'Log'[EntryType] = "ERROR" ) + 0
    )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( ApplicationCountWithError, ApplicationCount )

This worked for me in a dummy model - does it work in your model?

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

That works perfectly!  Thank you so much, I really was fumbling around in the dark on this as I am completely new to Power BI. I didn't realize that measures can be written in the form of functions.

Could you just explain why you use the IF clause and how the condition evaluates.  I assume ApplicationCount is an integer value so when you just state:

IF(ApplicationCount, ...

Does this mean "if ApplicationCount is not null" or "if ApplicationCount != 0"?

And what happens if the condition is false, since there is no third IF parameter specified?  Does it make ApplicationCountWithError zero or null? 

Can you also recommend a good book on DAX that would get me to this type of level?

Thank you again.

That's good to hear 🙂

It looks like all of your assumptions are correct 🙂

• On the IF clause, yes you're right, IF ( ApplicationCount,... is the same as IF ( ApplicationCount <> 0... (similar to Excel)
  • If the condition is false, the default "value if false" is BLANK. You could provide BLANK () explicitly as the 3rd argument of IF and get the same result. 
  • Also BLANK values propogate as BLANKs in divisions and multiplications (but are treated as zero for addition/subtraction), so if ApplicationCount is zero, then the ApplicationCountWithError is BLANK the division on the last line of the measure is also BLANK.

Some books on DAX...I would recommend:

To get started:

More advanced:

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for explanation on the IF clause, and also thank you for the book recommendations.  I have purchased the Power Pivot Pro book for the starter book, and both the advanced ones you recommended.

Many thanks once again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.