Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JakeSWTC
Regular Visitor

Percentage of values in column

Hi,

I'm brand new to Power BI and have a question.  I have a column of text values that to find the average of for certain values.  The options for the column are:

• Very satisfied
  • Satisfied
  • Neutral
  • Dissatisfied
  • Very dissatisfied
  • N/A

I want the average to calculate all the "Very satisfied" and "Satisfied" out of all of them excluding "N/A".

How can I accomplish this?  I can only figure out how to get it to count all of the value.

1.png

2.png

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you both for your help.  I got it working following the suggestion of @v-juanli-msft.

I ended up creating 3 measures.

I did:

_Overall Quality Satisfied = 
CALCULATE(
    COUNTA('Satisfacation Survey'[overall quality of_x]),
    'Satisfacation Survey'[overall quality of_x] IN { "Very satisfied", "Satisfied"}
)

and

_Overall Quality Total =
CALCULATE(
    'Satisfacation Survey'[overall quality of_x] IN { "Very satisfied", "Satisfied","Neutral", "Dissatisfied", "Very Dissatisfied" }
)

and then

_Overall Quality Percent = ([_Overall Quality Satisfied] / [_Overall Quality Total])
Appreciate the help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JakeSWTC 

Based on my udnerstanding, 

"I want the average to calculate all the "Very satisfied" and "Satisfied" out of all of them excluding "N/A""

this sentence can be transformed to the following formula:

(count rows of "Very satisfied" and "Satisfied")/(count all rows excluding "N/A")

If i understand you right,

create measures

Measure = 
CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[column]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),[column]="Very satisfied"||[column]="satisfied"))

Measure 2 = 
CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[column]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),[column]<>"N/A"))

Measure 3 = [Measure]/[Measure 2]

1.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It's hard to be sure without knowing the structure of your model, but something like the following should work. (Note: you'll need to replace the "table1" references with the name of your table)

Pcnt =

var _satRows = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( VALUES( table1[ability of help_x002]) )
                         , table1[ability of help_x002] IN { "Satisfied", "Very satisfied" } )
var _allRows = COUNTROWS( VALUES( table1[ability of help_x002]) )
return DIVIDE( _satRows, _allRows)

Thank you for the response.  When I add that measure and set it the "Value" I am still getting a 100%. (It should be something like 97%).

Did I do something wrong?  I did put in my table name (Satisfaction Survey).

3.png

I'm not sure why this would not be working for you. Can you paste in the actual expression you used?

ps. I noticed that I forgo the exclude N/A condition

Pcnt =

var _satRows = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( VALUES( 'Satisfaction Survey'[ability of help_x002]) )
                         , 'Satisfaction Survey'[ability of help_x002] IN { "Satisfied", "Very satisfied" } )
var _allRows = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( VALUES( table1[ability of help_x002]) ), 'Satisfaction Survey'[ability of help_x002] <> "N/A")
return DIVIDE( _satRows, _allRows)

Or did the approach suggested by @v-juanli-msft work for you?

Thank you both for your help.  I got it working following the suggestion of @v-juanli-msft.

I ended up creating 3 measures.

I did:

_Overall Quality Satisfied = 
CALCULATE(
    'Satisfacation Survey'[overall quality of_x] IN { "Very satisfied", "Satisfied"}
)

and

_Overall Quality Total =
CALCULATE(
    'Satisfacation Survey'[overall quality of_x] IN { "Very satisfied", "Satisfied","Neutral", "Dissatisfied", "Very Dissatisfied" }
)

and then

_Overall Quality Percent = ([_Overall Quality Satisfied] / [_Overall Quality Total])
Appreciate the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.