Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Percentage of total and page level filters

Hi everyone,

I am new to Power Bi.

I am working on an investment file in excel with these columns (Investment Name,  Geography, Industry, Client, Investment Value, Total Return (%) etc)

I have applied slicers on the report view for Geography, Industry, Client etc. When we select any geography it only shows the table for that region etc.

I need to two new calculated columns in my final table 

1. Percentage Allocation: This is the investment value / total investment value and it need to change if we select different filters. I have calculated the value however it keeps calculating the allocation based on total investment value rather than total investment value of page level filters applied. I can't just show the investment value in percentage since I need to use the figure in the second calculated column as per below.
  2. Weighted Return: This is the multiple of percentage allocation and total return. Easy to do of percentage allocation is correct.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Ali Akram

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you share your measure you created to calculate the % and probably I can suggest the change in those measures.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2kI have tried both calculations as per below. (These are calculated columns rather than measures).The formula should be "Investment Value"/"sum of "Investment Value". The sum should be based on the values selected in slicer (Geography, client, industry etc).

1. Table_Investment[value]/sum(Table_investment[value]).  This does not work since it takes sum of all values rather than filtered ones only
  2. Table_Investment[value]/calculate(sum(table_investment[value]),allselected(Table_Investment)). This does not work also for some reason.

Regards,

Ali Akram

@Anonymous you should add these as measures

DIVIDE( 
SUM(Table_Investment[value]),
calculate(sum(table_investment[value]),allselected(Table_Investment))
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@Anonymous just to confirm you added it as measure correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k No. I added it as a new column.

I have corrected it and used a measure now with following result. The problem is same as i was experiencing before. The formula does not consider any page level filters and slicers applied to the report. It takes allocation as percentage of all investments across all clients. I want the allocation column to change if we select other client name etc

Allocation.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am able to show the investment value as "Percentage of Grand Total" and it retains the page level filters however I can't refer the column in calculation. Is there any way i can accomplish same !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k The formula doesn't work. It just shows 100% allocation for each investment. The first allocation column shows the correct values while the last allocation column shows 100% for each investment based on the formula you shared. 

Allocation.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.