Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Percentage of total and page level filters

Hi everyone,

I am new to Power Bi.

I am working on an investment file in excel with these columns (Investment Name,  Geography, Industry, Client, Investment Value, Total Return (%) etc)

I have applied slicers on the report view for Geography, Industry, Client etc. When we select any geography it only shows the table for that region etc.

I need to two new calculated columns in my final table 

1. Percentage Allocation: This is the investment value / total investment value and it need to change if we select different filters. I have calculated the value however it keeps calculating the allocation based on total investment value rather than total investment value of page level filters applied. I can't just show the investment value in percentage since I need to use the figure in the second calculated column as per below.
  2. Weighted Return: This is the multiple of percentage allocation and total return. Easy to do of percentage allocation is correct.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Ali Akram

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you share your measure you created to calculate the % and probably I can suggest the change in those measures.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2kI have tried both calculations as per below. (These are calculated columns rather than measures).The formula should be "Investment Value"/"sum of "Investment Value". The sum should be based on the values selected in slicer (Geography, client, industry etc).

1. Table_Investment[value]/sum(Table_investment[value]).  This does not work since it takes sum of all values rather than filtered ones only
  2. Table_Investment[value]/calculate(sum(table_investment[value]),allselected(Table_Investment)). This does not work also for some reason.

Regards,

Ali Akram

@Anonymous you should add these as measures

DIVIDE( 
SUM(Table_Investment[value]),
calculate(sum(table_investment[value]),allselected(Table_Investment))
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@Anonymous just to confirm you added it as measure correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k No. I added it as a new column.

I have corrected it and used a measure now with following result. The problem is same as i was experiencing before. The formula does not consider any page level filters and slicers applied to the report. It takes allocation as percentage of all investments across all clients. I want the allocation column to change if we select other client name etc

Allocation.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am able to show the investment value as "Percentage of Grand Total" and it retains the page level filters however I can't refer the column in calculation. Is there any way i can accomplish same !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k The formula doesn't work. It just shows 100% allocation for each investment. The first allocation column shows the correct values while the last allocation column shows 100% for each investment based on the formula you shared. 

Allocation.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.