cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DSWigfield New Member

Percentage fields become "Sum Of" fields. What does that mean?

I've got a Power BI report querying a table from an Excel workbook stored in SharePoint Online.  

One of the steps in my Power Query is to set the Data Type of several columns to Percentage.  (They contain values from 0 to 1, with some cells blank)

When I run the query and go into the Power BI Desktop Report editor, I see my columns listed in the field selector on the right.  For some reason, all of the columns that I had formatted as Data Type of Percentage now show up as "Sum of" fields, with a grayed out Σ character next to each field name.

I've never paid attention to the Sum Of character before, but for some reason I think it's interfering with my ability to use that field value as an input for conditional formatting rules I'm trying to create.  

Is there a reason these don't come through as simple values, but instead are Sum Of values? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Percentage fields become "Sum Of" fields. What does that mean?

@DSWigfield ,

Power bi will automatically summarize the number value once connecting to data source. You can click Modeling-> select "Don't Summarize" as below:

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Percentage fields become "Sum Of" fields. What does that mean?

@DSWigfield ,

Power bi will automatically summarize the number value once connecting to data source. You can click Modeling-> select "Don't Summarize" as below:

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 375 members 4,233 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: