Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ashishtele
Frequent Visitor

Percentage calculation for multiple months

Hello,

I have data table with three columns Employee, month ,B and C. I have to calculate B/C (B divide by C) for each employee and month. I have created new coulmn = B/C and it is working fine for one month at a time. But when I select more than two months at a time, it sums up the calculated percentage values. How should I proceed so that it will add the values for B and C first for multiple months and then divide them ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The following measures achieve what you want.

SumB =
SUM( 'MyTable'[B] )     // It's considered best practice to always use
                                    // fully qualified column names in Table[Column]
                                    // format.

SumC =
SUM( 'MyTable[C] )

BoverC =
DIVIDE( [SumB], [SumC] )      // It is considered best practice to use
                                                // only the measure name (without table
                                                // reference) when referring to measures

CALCULATE() would only be necessary if you want to write code to manipulate the filter context for the measure.

If you use BoverC in a report now, you can put it in the Value(s) area of a visualization. Putting months on the axis would give you BoverC by month. If you put BoverC in a visualization alone and use month as a slicer you will see the appropriate behavior when you select a subset of months.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
fbrossard
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi,

You dont' have to create a new calculated column but only a new measure.

In PowerPivot/SSAS Tabular you have when you add a calculated column, it's been calculated for each row when you refresh you model, and then you can make aggreation on it => you are in the row context.

For your needs, you have to create a new measure. This measure is calculated on the fly depending the attributes and filter you use.

For more detail read this : https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/row-context-and-filter-context-in-dax/

Hi,

I tried with =>

=calculate(sum(B)/sum(c),Month) but it is not giving desired result.

Also, I am selecting different values of month from 'Slicer' visualization. So I want measure to take selected months dynamically on runtime and calculate the values.

The following measures achieve what you want.

SumB =
SUM( 'MyTable'[B] )     // It's considered best practice to always use
                                    // fully qualified column names in Table[Column]
                                    // format.

SumC =
SUM( 'MyTable[C] )

BoverC =
DIVIDE( [SumB], [SumC] )      // It is considered best practice to use
                                                // only the measure name (without table
                                                // reference) when referring to measures

CALCULATE() would only be necessary if you want to write code to manipulate the filter context for the measure.

If you use BoverC in a report now, you can put it in the Value(s) area of a visualization. Putting months on the axis would give you BoverC by month. If you put BoverC in a visualization alone and use month as a slicer you will see the appropriate behavior when you select a subset of months.

Using the divide function as shown by @greggyb will automatically handle division by 0 errors so is recomended instead of using "/"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.