Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rachaelwalker
Resolver III
Resolver III

Percentage by month and not % of whole dataset

I am trying to show the percentage of time entries that were billable vs non billable. I need to break it down by month as well but when I use a line or bar graph it is showing the % of the whole data set and not just for that month. In the example below, it is showing November billable at 5%. The two % amounts for that month should equal 100%. 

2021-03-12 08_34_40-Engineering Utilization and Backlog - Power BI Desktop.png

Axis is the Date Start (date field)

Legend is billable/non-billable (true/false. but it is a text field since I wanted to rename true to Billable etc..)

The value is the count of the time entry unique ID. and to show as a percentage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rachaelwalker 

According to your description, I can understand clearly what you want to get, you want to make the value in the column chart to display the percent based on the month level, right? I think you can achieve this using a measure, you can try my steps:

This is the test data I created based on your sample pictures:

v-robertq-msft_0-1616399232710.png

1. Create a measure and change the format like this:
Percent of ID count =

DIVIDE(

COUNT('Table'[ID]),

CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[ID]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Date].[Month])))

v-robertq-msft_1-1616399232770.png

1. Then go to the column chart and change the field in the value with the measure like this:

v-robertq-msft_2-1616399232801.png

And you can get what you want.

You can download my test pbix file here

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rachaelwalker 

According to your description, I can understand clearly what you want to get, you want to make the value in the column chart to display the percent based on the month level, right? I think you can achieve this using a measure, you can try my steps:

This is the test data I created based on your sample pictures:

v-robertq-msft_0-1616399232710.png

1. Create a measure and change the format like this:
Percent of ID count =

DIVIDE(

COUNT('Table'[ID]),

CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[ID]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Date].[Month])))

v-robertq-msft_1-1616399232770.png

1. Then go to the column chart and change the field in the value with the measure like this:

v-robertq-msft_2-1616399232801.png

And you can get what you want.

You can download my test pbix file here

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

rachaelwalker
Resolver III
Resolver III

Sorry I will try to be more clear. The bar graph should show, for example, for the month of November 60% of time entries were billable and 40% as non-billable. I think a line graph would represent this data better so here is an update. But why is it showing 8.61% and 1.63% for December? I want to know the % overall for just that month. I am looking to see 80% / 20%2021-03-12 13_35_31-Engineering Utilization and Backlog - Power BI Desktop.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rachaelwalker , the expected output is not clear.

One option is 100% stacked column visual. That will 100% for each month between billable vs non billable

Also check this solution

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Showing-percentage-values-in-Stacked-Column-Chart/td-p/1697...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.