Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Krish

Percent display issue in charts in olap live connection

Hi Team -- We have a measure in SSAS OLAP and it is formated as "0%;(0%)". It shows correctly in Excel pivot tables and even cube values. However, in PowerBI Live connection, it shows as decimal number.

FYI... I tried changing the format to "Percent" still no use.

Thanks

Krish

9 REPLIES 9
mchapman
Advocate I
Advocate I

I tried using "Percent" as well and no luck when applying format like this:

FORMAT_STRING([Measures].[Gross Margin]) ="Percent";

However, it did work when I added it to a created memeber like this:

CREATE MEMBER CURRENTCUBE.[Measures].[Gross Margin Percent] AS

DIVIDE([Measures].[Gross Margin],[Measures].[Net Sales]),

VISIBLE = 1,

ASSOCIATED_MEASURE_GROUP = 'Measures'

, FORMAT_STRING="Percent";

I would also like to note that I was in a shared workgroup and had to delete and re-add the data connection as for it to work as the cube meta data doesn't seem to update when you hit the refresh button.  Anyone know how to make the meta data refresh without having to re-add the connection?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is really @mchapman! To confirm what you said, I was able to show data with a % by formatting the string directly in ssas but since December it does not seem to work anymore. I explained everything here http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Formatting-SSAS-values-with-a-Live-connection-WAS-working-un....

Contrary to what has been said, I think it was partially working before December 2016 (as you showed in your example) but as of today it does not work at all anymore.

@mchapman: I'm curious would you be able to try to display your measure above with a live connection SSAS and let me know if it's still working?

Thank you

@Anonymous I checked via my live connection and it is still working.  I have attached screenshot.

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, it helps me a lot. I will follow the different steps you described and see if I can get my % working! It seems to be tricky for a lot of people. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick update.

After several attempts, using MDX orthe VS Interface, I can't make that formatting work again. Every single report that was previously showing correctly % are now showing up with no formatting.

I would be glad to be in touch with a PowerBI MS guy.

If any one has an idea please feel free to share it. It seems that more and more people are reporting that issue.

See. http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Formatting-SSAS-values-with-a-Live-connection-WAS-working-un...

We are using Power BI Report Server - March 2018.

We have SSAS 2016 multi-dimensional cubes for analysis and reporting.

We have a calculated % measure in a multi-dimensional cube with FORMAT set to "Percent".

In Power BI (Desktop) with a LIVE connection to this multi-dimensional cube:

• Displaying the measure using a table or matrix visualisation, the measure displays using the CORRECT format (e.g. "20.5%")
  • Changing the visualisation to something "more visual" such as a Chart (for example), the Y-Axis and tooltip displays this measure as a numeric, IGNORING the correct Percent formatting (e.g. shows "0.205" instead of "20.5%").

This inconsistency between visualizxations for the same measure (e.g. Table vs. Chart) is obviously not by design.

It is clear that Power BI is obtaining the correct formatting for this measure from the cube (as it is displaying it in the table/matrix visualisations), however it is not being consistently applied across the visualisations. 

This is a show-stopper for rolling out Power BI to our target audience (i.e. Executives, Senior Management, etc.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same experience to me. I had the visual working with the correct formatting, and after upgrading to CU8 the visual showed decimals afterwards. I wonder, as when I insert a normal table the value is shown correct in the % form. In the queries (I ran a profiler for performance analysis) the query delivers the right format (P2). What‘s wrong there?

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Krish

I‘ve got the response from Power BI team. This is currently by design. The work to make this scenario work is known but it was not funded this year. Now I think we can vote this idea here.

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Krish,

I test the scenario as yours and I can reproduce the same issue as shown in the following screenshots, number format lost after I connect to SSAS using “Connect live” option in Power BI Desktop. I will report the issue internally and post back once I get any update.
1.PNG2.png3.png

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors