Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JohnYeldham
Frequent Visitor

Peculiar differences in cumulative sum measures - trying to get cumulative profit by project

I have developed a measure for profit (SUM(revenue) - SUM(cost), as expected) that works just fine.  As expected, the measure aggregates according to the aggregate rows in output tables (e.g. if Project and Period is shown then the measure sums over Project and Period, but if only Period is shown then the measures sums over Period only).

The issue is that a measure I have made for CUMULATIVE profit does not work in the same consistent manner.  The columns in output tables affect how it works, yielding different - and wrong - results depending on columns chosen.

I have tried two different measures as  follows:

Cumulative Profit (with project constraint)

Cumulative 1 = CALCULATE([Profit], FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table), Table[Period]<=MAX(Table[Period])))

Cumulative Profit (no project constraint)

Cumulative 2 = CALCULATE([Profit], FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table), Table[Period]<=MAX(Table[Period]) && Table[Project] = MAX(Table[Project])))

Whether each gives the right answer depends on whether the output table shows project or not.  These mock-ups show the behaviour:

Capture3.PNG

Correct (desired) cumulative balances are in green, wrong answers are in red. 

It is weird that one solution works when the Project is a column in the output table, and one solution works when it is not.  For the Profit measure, it works whatever the columns in the output table.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Cheers

John

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@JohnYeldham - Would love to have some sample data to test with in order to see if I could come up with a solution that works for both. Can you post some sample data?

Overall though, I am not necessarily suprised, measures are finicky when it comes to context. Just think about the measures total problem. You could put them into a single measure like this:

Cumulative Profit =
  IF(
    ISINSCOPE('Table'[Project]),
    [Cumulative 1],
    [Cumulative 2]
  )

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.