Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Pbix file size increases on making a change in the source query (lesser data pulled in)

I have .pbix file which was around 61MB in size.

I made a small change in pulling data from a particular table. Earlier the entire table was being pulled, now I updated the MQuery for the same by adding a where clause. Due to this, the amount of data being pulled into Power BI has been reduced by around 20k rows.

But on savng thre report, I see that the file size is now around 85Mb. 

What could be the reason for this?

6 REPLIES 6
harshvchawla
Frequent Visitor

I have a similar problem.

I now use where clause to import mysql data into powerbi, limiting data pulled each day to 90 days in a rolling fashion (only pull data for "last 90 days").

Still, as seen in powerbi service, the size of the report keeps increasing daily at a contant rate (say about 5MB per day).

Should not the report size be almost constant instead of growing now? The number of rows being pulled daily in are almost same too as measured from the queries.

Does powerbi service keep accumulating data in its query cache and never purge it?

eniX
Helper III
Helper III

I agree, it's difficult to say with such little information. One possibility I can think about is the fact that data is stored column-oriented. Thus, the size of the .pbix-file is not directly correlated to the amount of the rows. it's rather correlated to the amount of different values in your data: if your data suddently contains much more variety in values, it is possible your .pbix-file size increases.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, are you sure you didn't pull that into a separate table? Tough to really say what is going on with that amount of information.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler @eniX

Yes, I am sure. I just changed the query in the advanced editor for that table. Earlier I was pulling the entire table without the SQL statement. Now I included the query with the where clause in the advanced editor. Also, I reduced the number of columns being pulled in.

What happens if you create a brand new PBIX file and copy and paste the Advanced Editor code into the query, what do you end up with?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I guess it was some bug. I closed and opened the file again and the file size is now 61Mb.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.