Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pbix file size: Big Flat table vs denormalised Schema

Hi,
I need some help understanding what impacts pbix file size.

I have a data model with one big fact table (5mn rows), a few large dimension tables and around 5 smaller dimension tables. The pbix file size is around 400 megabytes.

I was learning how to use Append queries feature and basically put all tables into one large flat table (apart from calendar table) at Power Query step. To my surprise - the file size dropped by a third - to 280megabytes. How come - in effect I've made the storage less efficient as I've normalised the schema. If anything - I was expecting an increase in pbix file size.

Also, I've noticed that visuals (even if I have a 10 page report ) - doesn't increase file size too much.

So the question is - what does impact the pbix file size. Also, if let's say I have 400megabytes pbix - is there a way to check how much RAM does it use? I know it compresses pretty well, but would like to see the actual numbers (ones in Task Manager might be impacted by the application itself).

Thank you,

Dovilė
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

Anyway you need to understand the composition and content of pbix first.

You can refer to this article (Here is a lot of what you want to know)

What makes up a powerbi desktop pbix file

exposing-m-code-and-query-metadata-of-power-bi-pbix-file  

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

Could you please tell me whether your problem has been solved?
If it is,  please mark the helpful replies or add your reply as Answered to close this thread?

Best Regards,

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

Anyway you need to understand the composition and content of pbix first.

You can refer to this article (Here is a lot of what you want to know)

What makes up a powerbi desktop pbix file

exposing-m-code-and-query-metadata-of-power-bi-pbix-file  

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

the number one point that determines the size of the data model is the number of unique values in each column, the more unique values, the larger the model.

You can inspect the data model, using the vertipaq analyzer, that can be found here:

https://www.sqlbi.com/tools/vertipaq-analyzer/

Since version 2.9.4 also DAX Studio can answer the questions of what structure exactly is responsible for the size of the data model: https://www.sqlbi.com/blog/marco/2019/09/15/vertipaq-analyzer-2-0-preview-1/   

Why is the file size shrinking?

Due to creating a single table, you also reduce the number of columns, as there is no longer any need for 2 key columns (dimension and fact table). As there is just one table, there are no longer relationships, but from my experience relationships are never that big.

Please be aware that, a star schema is the design to go for, as a one-table solution might create unexpected results: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-dax-auto-exist/

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors