Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

preetks
Employee
Employee

Pbix file not opening on desktop after deleting dataset

Hi,

I have a pbix file which is connected to an Excel file on SharePoint as the data source. The Excel file had some issues with file size. We had to delete the file and recreate it. While doing that, the dataset on PowerBI got deleted. I have recreated the Excel file and the dataset.

I am now trying to fix the existing pbix to point it to the new dataset. However, the file fails to open on desktop. I get no error message and desktop just opens a blank "Untitled" file. Is there any way to recover this report and use a new dataset? If not, any way to extract the various visuals out of it and copy to a new pbix?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @preetks ,

What you can do to test out is to make a new query connecting to the new file and check if you are abble to see the information in the query editor, then just copy the first line (Source) from that new connection to the previous query and check if everything works properly.

Regarding the copy paste you can select all the visualizations on a report and copy to a new PBIX file by CTRL+C - CTRL+V only downside is that if you have 10 pages you need to do one page at a time.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thanks, @MFelix. The problem is that the pbix is not even opening in PowerBI desktop. It fails to publish also.

Is there any way to manually edit it in Notepad or some other application?

Hi @preetks ,

you can edit your PBIX file by changing the extension to ZIP.

Check the blog post below with an explanation on how to change the data source using the zip format, you may need to adapt since you are using excel and not the source they refer but the process should be pretty much the same.

https://eriksvensen.wordpress.com/2017/10/03/how-to-change-the-powerbi-desktop-file-connection-from-...

If you need further help please tell me.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors