Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pbix File Size and txt file size

I have a dataset in the txt file with size approx 3 GB.
Data is tab separated.
I have loaded this data in the power bi Desktop, But the size of the Pbix file is only approx 300 MB. How could is this possible?
There is no other way, with which I can validate data.
Is power bi shrinks the txt dataset or Power bi not loading whole data in the power Bi desktop?
Please help me with this.
Below is attach screenshot for Dataset file size and power bi File Size.

FilesizesFilesizes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Don't worry about this, when you import data (Get data->Text) to Power BI Desktop, all data from this file is imported into Power bi cache.

Why the size of Power bi saved file is smaller that the source file's is due to compression feature in Power bi.

Power BI leverages compression engine of xVelocity and works on a Column-store in-memory technology. Column store in-memory technology compresses data and stores it in a compressed format. Sometimes you might have a 1GB Excel file, and when you import it into Power BI, your Power BI file ends up with only 10MB. This is mainly because of compression engine of Power BI. 

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

does the compression also work once the pbix file is published to Power BI Service?

For example once published the dataset size will be 300mb or 3gb?

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Don't worry about this, when you import data (Get data->Text) to Power BI Desktop, all data from this file is imported into Power bi cache.

Why the size of Power bi saved file is smaller that the source file's is due to compression feature in Power bi.

Power BI leverages compression engine of xVelocity and works on a Column-store in-memory technology. Column store in-memory technology compresses data and stores it in a compressed format. Sometimes you might have a 1GB Excel file, and when you import it into Power BI, your Power BI file ends up with only 10MB. This is mainly because of compression engine of Power BI. 

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft Thank you so much for your response and for clearing my questions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.