Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pause/Stop recalculation. Is there any trick?

Hi

I'm at this point quite experienced in DAX, to the point that my model contains many relationships and 3 complex precalculated tables (so the visuals for the final user are quick and snappy).
However, this has a major drawback: EACH time that I 

- create a new column

- add a new measure

- rename a measure/column

- pretty much any other modification of the model

recalculates the ENTIRE model. I stay there literally 1 minute or so each time I have to make a modification. Plus everything is very sluggish. As this model is far from complete, this is slowing down a lot my work.

So I would really love a feature, like in excel, "hey, wait a minute to recalculate everything, let me create these 3-4 new measures, and then you can recalculate". I know that there is an idea (I voted for it) but with 3 votes does not seem popular.

Is there therefore any "trick" to avoid recalculation? What I do now is to comment out each of the three main calculated tables and then start working: this of course messes up al the visuals because the calculated tables are not anymore there. 

But I would really love a feature to speed up working with large models....any idea?

5 REPLIES 5
StefanC
Regular Visitor

I was experiencing the same issue and just found 'Tabular Editor'. It allows me to change the data model without recalculation each time. Take a look at: https://tabulareditor.com/

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

For your case, I think the best way is in Edit Queries, Add some filter for data set to reduce the size of the data model just for modeling process. Then remove the filter after that.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

thanks, i found an somewhat easier solution: save the model as .pbit so it has no data in it. Modify the queries and then reload the data. It helps, but even when the dataset is empty, if you have several relationships and calculated tables it still recalculates after each measure. Of course, without data is faster...

hi, @Anonymous 

It's also a great way to achieve it. Thank you for your sharing.  Smiley Very Happy

Could you please tell me if you still have other problem? If not, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, emptying the dataset only improve the issue, but does not resolve it. Still PBI recalculates everything and even with empty data set it still takes a lot when there are many relationship and calculated tables...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.