Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pasting complex SQL query into Power BI

I have been using Toad Data Point to query a large Vertica database with a query given to me by a peer. The query is a rather frightful mixture of joins and window functions that mere mortals like me daren't mess with. I would like to simply copy/paste this query into PowerBI Desktop in Direct Query mode. However, I haven't found a way to do this. I can access the underlying tables in Power BI, but any attempts to create this (essentially) view over the underlying tables has stumped me. 

My query starts with this:

SELECT
mytablename.*,
CASE WHEN tbl1.column1 IS NULL THEN tbl2.col3 ELSE tbl1.col4 END AS mynewcolumnname,
CASE WHEN tbl2.column2 IS NULL THEN tbl2.col3 ELSE tbl1.col5 END AS mysecondcolumnname
, ROW_NUMBER(
  ) OVER (  PARTITION  by 

sometable.somecolumn, sometable.anothercolumn
                order by
                    sometable.examplecolumn,
                    sometable.examplecolumn2,
                    sometable.examplecolumn3 desc) yetanothername
FROM
(SELECT
  B.baz,

et cetera

This query goes on for 200+ lines. I have no authority to change the underlying schema; I'm stuck with this.

Is there a feature that would allow me to simply paste this SQL query into Power BI desktop and have it show up as a table (or view or whatever) from which I can create visualizations?

10 REPLIES 10
torchesamuel
Frequent Visitor

Please was this solved apart from saving results in a table or views? 
thank you 

EVEAdmin
Helper V
Helper V

When it comes to very complex queries, I prefer to run them individually in SQL Server and insert the results into a table. Then I get POwerBI to query that table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

EVE, If I did that, I would have to run the server-side query each time I wanted to use the dashboard, wouldn't I?

That's not very user-friendly, is it? Telling my users, "hey, before you go to powerbi.com for your reports, first log on to this other system and run this query," is a non-starter.

@Anonymous wrote:

EVE, If I did that, I would have to run the server-side query each time I wanted to use the dashboard, wouldn't I?

That's not very user-friendly, is it? Telling my users, "hey, before you go to powerbi.com for your reports, first log on to this other system and run this query," is a non-starter.

Can you schedule automatic refresh?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduling automatic refresh still doesn't solve the problem of running the server-side query. It's also not compatible with DirectQuery mode, if I understand Power BI correctly.

@Anonymous how you are connecting to your Vertica data source

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@Anonymous got it, you are using native connector, why not you create a view in your vertica database and use that to feed to power bi

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm exploring adding this query as a view in the database, but since I'm not the database admin/owner, I'm dependent on others for that. Hopefully it'll pan out, but it might not.

Is there really no way to write a SQL query within Power BI? This seems like a rather fundamental request.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you can give your own query to pull data

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Parry, that query textbox might be there for a SQL Server data source, but I don't see it with a Vertica data source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.