Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zudar
Post Patron
Post Patron

Passing the results of one measure through another

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some advice how to solve this issue I'm dealing with. I'm in the following situation. I've got three relevant tables.

'Entries':

IDInOut
97313-10-2019 13:5424-03-2019 8:12
28815-10-2019 15:2918-10-2019 13:28
22916-10-2019 13:2520-10-2019 9:28 

'Durations':

IDStartEndCategory
97315-10-2019 7:0226-10-2019 16:38A
423 12-10-2019 22:1017-10-2019 12:20B
288 13-10-2019 19:3818-10-2019 17:25B
288 13-10-2019 20:0119-10-2019 13:55C

At last, 'DateTime', which is just a basic calendar coming from DAX formula I found online.

Now I have to create a dashboard that shows how many ID's where between 'In' or 'Out' at some variable DateTime and how many ID's were between 'Start' and 'End' at that time.. but only including ID's from the second group that were part of the first result set! In addition, I want to mark each 'Entry' with the Category from 'Durations'. If it doesn't find a corresponding 'Duration', I want to mark the 'Entry' with Category 'unknown'. If it finds multiple corresponding 'Durations', I want to pick the one with the earliest 'Start' date/time. Creating both measures separately worked out pretty well. I have:

Number of ID's In = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Entries); FILTER(Entries; Entries[In]<=MAX(DateTime[DateTime]) && (Entries[Out]>=MIN(DateTime[DateTime]) || Entries[Out] = BLANK())))

Number of ID's Started = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Durations[ID]); FILTER(Durations; Durations[Start]<=MAX(DateTime[DateTime]) && (Durations[End]>=MIN(Kalender[DateTime]) && (Durations[Start]<>BLANK()))

Entries never overlap and Durations possibly do, that's why there's a difference in the count-calculation. (Don't mind the extra filters I applied, I had to take some Blank fields into account.) So now, I want the second formula to pick up the Categories that correspond to ID's that come up from the first formula (at any given DateTime) and combine it into one measure. This sounded easy to me at first, but I've been struggling for days to find an appropriate method for solving this.

In the end, I want to create a stacked bar chart that counts the number of Entries where In < DateTime < Out. Then, I want to use the Durations to add a Category to the Entries in the bar chart, giving a color for each Category and if it doesn't find one in the Durations set it to 'unknown'. With the sample data above and the slicer set at (for example) 17-10-2019 10:00, I would like to see a bar chart showing all 3 'Entries':

Entry ID = 973 has one corresponding Duration, with Category A.

Entry ID = 288 has two possible Durations and I want to pick the one with the earliest start date, this gives Category B.

Entry ID = 229 has no corresponding Durations at all, so Category is 'unknown'.

So a stacked bar chart with 3 parts, one marked with a color corresponding to 'Category A', another one with 'Category B' and the last marked with Category 'unknown'. In the end, I hope to make this chart look at an entire week of Entries and Durations and show the results per hour.

I hope this all makes sense; let me know if it doesn't. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @zudar

Is this what you want?

Capture4.JPG 

Add measure

have an entry =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( Entries[ID] ),
    FILTER (
        Entries,
        Entries[In] <= MAX ( 'calendar'[Date] )
            && (
                Entries[Out] >= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] )
                    || Entries[Out] = BLANK ()
            )
    )
)

Modify measure

flag = IF([have an entry]<>BLANK(),IF([have a duration]=BLANK(),"Unknown",[return category]))

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zudar 

I can create result as below.

They are all measures. (calculated columns don't change with the slicer)

have a duration =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( Entries[ID] ),
    FILTER (
        Durations,
        Durations[Start] <= MAX ( 'calendar'[Date] )
            && Durations[End] >= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] )
            && Durations[Start] <> BLANK ()
    )
)

count of id = COUNT(Durations[ID])

return category =
VAR minstart =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( Durations[Start] ),
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Durations ), Durations[ID] = MAX ( Durations[ID] ) )
    )
RETURN
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        Durations[Category],
        Durations[ID], MAX ( Entries[ID] ),
        Durations[Start], minstart
    )

flag = IF([have a duration]=BLANK(),"Unknown",[return category])

Capture7.JPG

But I'm not clear which columns/measures  to add in a bar chart as you expected, could you show me more details?

Best Regards
Maggie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-juanli-msft ,

That looks great, thank you! I tried to apply your solution to my (more complex) data model and it's not giving me what I was hoping for.. 😞

The 'Entries' and 'Durations' table have thousands of rows and I don't see how you filter the 'Entries' part based on the DateTime, I see you just filtered the 'Durations'. Maybe my sample data was misleading, but the example I gave where the slicer is set on a DateTime that includes all 'Entries', was just 'lucky'. However, I still want to show all 'Entries' that fullfill the In < DateTime < Out condition, and apply the category from all 'Durations' that fulfill the Start < DateTime < End condition.

In addition, I've left out the following in my initial post (I think it's important to mention since you said that calculated columns don't change with the slicer):  The 'Entries' table is just as I described, but the 'Durations' is a little different.

The 'Entries' has a nice simple setup: ID -> In -> Out

The 'Durations': OrderID -> Start -> End

Then I have a table called 'Orders': OrderID -> ID -> Category 

Durations and Orders have a 1-on-1 relationship. I assumed this wouldn't be an issue and I created calculated columns in 'Durations' that said: ID = RELATED(Orders[ID]) & Category = RELATED(Orders[Category])

I would love to figure this out! Thank you for your help so far.

Just to check, I added a record to 'Durations' to see what your PBIX would show.

Capture.JPG

Indeed, ID = 321 should not be included in here..

Hi @zudar

Is this what you want?

Capture4.JPG 

Add measure

have an entry =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( Entries[ID] ),
    FILTER (
        Entries,
        Entries[In] <= MAX ( 'calendar'[Date] )
            && (
                Entries[Out] >= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] )
                    || Entries[Out] = BLANK ()
            )
    )
)

Modify measure

flag = IF([have an entry]<>BLANK(),IF([have a duration]=BLANK(),"Unknown",[return category]))

Best Regards
Maggie

Hi Maggie ( @v-juanli-msft  ),

That's it, very nice! I realize that you now answered the question in my initial post correctly, but as I try to apply your solution to my actual data (model), the measures are not behaving as in (y)our example.

I suspect this has to do with the 'Orders' and 'Products' table that I initially didn't discuss, or it has to do with the fact that 'Entries' don't have a unique ID. So let me put all cards on the table and hope you're willing to give it a look, one last time. Here we go, we have:

'Entries' (added a row to show that ID is not unique in 'Entries' and corrected the 'Out' date for ID = 973),

ID

In

Out

13-10-2019 13:54

24-10-2019 8:12

15-10-2019 15:29

18-10-2019 13:28

16-10-2019 13:25

20-10-2019 9:28 

10-10-2019 15:29

15-10-2019 13:28

'Durations' (with unique OrderID's),

OrderID

Start

End

15-10-2019 7:02

26-10-2019 16:38

12-10-2019 22:10

17-10-2019 12:20

13-10-2019 19:38

18-10-2019 17:25

13-10-2019 20:01

19-10-2019 13:55

'Orders' (with unique OrderID's),

OrderID

ID

Category

A

B

B

C

'Products' (with unique ID's),

ID

Name

Alex

Sam

John

Craig

'Durations' and 'Orders' have an 1-on-1 relationship.

The data model now looks like:

Capture2.PNG

Now let me show you how I changed the formulas you gave me:

have a duration = CALCULATE ( COUNT( Products[ID] ); FILTER ( Durations; Durations[Start] <= MAX ( 'calendar'[Date] ) && Durations[End] >= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] ) && Durations[Start] <> BLANK () ) ) 

have an entry = CALCULATE ( COUNT ( Entries[ID] ); FILTER ( Entries; Entries[In] <= MAX ( 'calendar'[Date] ) && ( Entries[Out] >= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] ) || Entries[Out] = BLANK () ) ) ) 

count of id = COUNT(Products[ID]) 

return category = VAR minstart = CALCULATE ( MIN ( Durations[Start] ); FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Orders ); Orders[ID] = MAX ( Orders[ID] ) ) ) RETURN LOOKUPVALUE ( Orders[Category]; Orders[ID]; MAX ( Entries[ID] ); Durations[Start]; minstart ) 

flag = IF([have an entry]<>BLANK();IF([have a duration]=BLANK();"Unknown";[return category]))

I'm trying to include the PBIX file in here, but I can't find how to do that, so I'll show you in a screenshot what the result is I get:

Capture3.PNG

Do you see what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I found out that the 'flag' field isn't allowed as input for the legend in the bar chart:

Capture4.PNG

Is it because it contains blank values? Or because it's a measure? Any ideas how to include the 'flag' as different colours/parts of that bar chart I have in the screenshot above?

Sorry about bothering you with all this stuff, but it's helping me a lot! Thanks for everything so far!

Hi Maggie ( @v-juanli-msft ),

I figured some stuff out and I'm almost there.. 

What my main mistake was in my last post was that had to use the 'ID' from table 'Orders' instead of 'Entries'.

But, then I found out that there's something wrong with the 'return category' measure..

Look at this:

Capture5.PNG

It's picking a category that belongs to a duration that doesn't include the selected date..

I changed the measure to this:

return category = 
VAR minstart =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( Durations[Start] );
        FILTER (
        Durations; [have a duration] = 1
    ))
RETURN
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        Orders[Category];
        Orders[ID]; MAX ( Entries[ID] );
        Durations[Start]; minstart
    )

And then it works..

But as I apply it to my actual model, I get this error:

Capture6.PNG

Do you have any ideas? 

I broke the measure up into two parts, 'minstart' and 'lookupvalue'. 'Minstart' is working fine:

minstart = CALCULATE (
        MIN ( Durations[Start] );
        FILTER (
        Durations;
        Durations[Start] <= MAX ( 'calendar'[Date] )
            && Durations[End] >= MIN ( 'calendar'[Date] )
            && Durations[Start] <> BLANK ()
    ))

It's the LOOKUPVALUE part that doesn't work for me. The uniqueness in 'Orders' and 'Durations' is in the 'OrderID'.

Shouldn't I then use 'OrderID' in the LOOKUPVALUE?

I added some data in the sample data to come to the same error as I have in my actual report:

Capture7.PNG

Now, when you drag in the 'return category' measure, it will give the same error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.