Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

freelensia
Advocate II
Advocate II

Passing a list or array to a function

Hi,

I have a simple function that evaluates an Excel's Named Range to get its value like this:

(RangeValue as text) =>
let
    RangeValue = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name=RangeName]}[Content]{0}[Column1]
in
    RangeValue

To call this I simply do

RangeValue("SomeExcelNamedRange")

However, this will evaluate only individual named ranges at a time. What if I want to evaluate 3, 4, or any other number named ranges from Excel? I would call the new function like this:

RangeValues({"Name1", "Name2", ... "NameN"})

Could you help me write this new function?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is an example

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2ha4qe9513ft08/functions.xlsx?dl=1

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

What you have written as the pseudo code is one function with 3 parameters. You could execute the same function that takes 1 parameter 3 times instead. In power query, create. List of ranges. {“rg1”,”rg2”} etc. Convert to a table, Then insert column, invoke custom function and pass the column values to the function. Then combine

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Sorry could you show me the code to do that?

I am not sure what your method does, but how would I invoke this new function?
The simplicity that I seek is that I can easily type in one line the items in my list and the desired macro would execute them, without having to create new queries or tables.

Hi @freelensia ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Here is an example

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2ha4qe9513ft08/functions.xlsx?dl=1

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.