Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sqldev2017
Employee
Employee

Passing Timeline Slicer values to SQL Query as parameters

Hi, 

I have created a timeline slicer , with date values coming from a SQL Query.

Now Depending on the Start and End Date/Times selected on the Timeline slicer , I want to dynamically pass these date values to another query, from which data in a table is generated in the report.

Please help.

8 REPLIES 8
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

are you working in imported mode or direct query?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

My data connectivity mode is "Import"....

I know how to modify the "Power Query M" , to pass a parameter....

But how do i pass the Start and end Dates in the Timeline Slicer to the Query ?

so you want to

power bi timeline slicer parameter ---> pass to power query ---> pass to sql data source correct?

if that is true, i am not sure how that would work as the refresh of an imported model happens before you adjust your slicer or am i misunderstanding your requirement?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

So basically , this is what it is - 

I have a data source which has a "SQL Query"..... (I have written a SQL Query, but obviously on saving it converts to Power Query)

I want to be able to pass the Start and End Dates from the "Timeline Slicer" as parameters to this "SQL Query"......

It is the same as what is being asked here - 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4ed6009e-52dc-4107-81d5-80052121995a/pass-t...

happy to be wrong but dont think that is possible in imported mode, in direct query that would happen automatically i would think as its only looking at live data.

maybe this post can offer more info or a work around

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-do-I-pass-parameters-to-my-SQL-statement/m-p/119671

I used this same solution , by creating a report level parameter - it does work fine.

I wanted to see if I can do the same using Timeline Slicer.

Hi @sqldev2017,

I used this same solution , by creating a report level parameter - it does work fine.

I wanted to see if I can do the same using Timeline Slicer.

As far as I know, it is not possible to use a Timeline Slicer in this scenario currently. Smiley Happy

Regards

dont think so, not in imported mode.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.