Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BlairosNZ
Frequent Visitor

Passing Parameters to Query loading from text file

Hi There

I have an environment set up where I load pre-set queries from a Text file.

They are brought in using a "LoadQuery" function (using the "Expression.Evaluate" function and #shared environment variable)

These queries utilize parameters set up in the main Power BI Desktop file.

In preview, these queries function perfectly, however, when it comes time to load these into the Power BI model, it throws an error...

Annotation.png

To put this into context, the text-file query uses Parameters, namely "Root" for the drive source, then a folder, which is defined using another Parameter called "Region"

Example of this is:

Source = Folder.Files(Root & "\Pipeline Files\" & Region & "\Pipeline\" & Text.From(CurrentPipelineYear))

Root, Region are Text Parameters... and CurrentPipelineYear is a number.

Now, it doesnt seem to have any problems with the "Root" parameter, but its getting to the "Region" then throwing this error.

Like previously mentioned, this works fine (edit and load) in Excel, works fine in the Query editor for Power BI desktop, but will not load to the model as I need it to...

Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated - i really want to be able to continue to use "single source of the truth" queries, as it means I only have to update one query, instead of the same query in every workbook/pbix i manage...

Thanks!

Blair

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BlairosNZ,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BlairosNZ,

Based on my research, you need to check the file path of your parameter and make sure the name is consistent with your folder. From the error description, the problem may occur that the "Region\Pipeline\" is not a correct file path.

It could work on my side.

A.PNG

B.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there,

thanks for for the feedback, and apologies for the delay in response.

Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue, and after some more research it seems to be related more to the #shared environment not picking up the variables in question.

I will locate the article I referenced and post the link here, as it is quite complex, and as such I still am yet to resolve the issue in question.

Thanks

Blair

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.