Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bushanbo
Frequent Visitor

Passing LDAP as parameter to Procedure in PowerBI

I have requirement to pass user logged inn LDAP to Procedure as below.

If my LDAP is nagm then that should be passed as follows. Procedure accepts nagm or 'nagm' [meaning with or without quotes]

EXEC [DDOM_BIZOPS].[dbo].[usp_access_check_view] nagm

Placing direct LDAP is returning data as expected but our requirment is to to replace USERNAME_ [replacing with their logged inn LDAP] and run the procedure so that they can see only data that they have access to.

I tried with UPN as follows: 

USERNAME_ = CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE("'",SUBSTITUTE(USERPRINCIPALNAME(),"@adobe.com","")),"'")
Then tried as follows in query and its not replacing as nagm but passing USERNAME_ as a value directly and so no data returned.

EXEC [DDOM_BIZOPS].[dbo].[usp_access_check_view] USERNAME_

Please let me know if this works in PowerBI or have to use Report Builder tool to achieve this.

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thanks for the response.

We are currently using this RLS approach only and filtering data by UserPrincipleName(). It works well only if we give App access.

We have to give workspace access to Users [self-service] and if they download the PowerBI file, they can see all data.

DB wanted to handle this backend and they asked to pass user logged inn LDAP to Procedure and so like to know if we can pass UserPrincipleName() to Procedure.

bushanbo
Frequent Visitor

We need to pass captured UserPrincipleName() to EXEC Procedure so that User can see only the data that user has eligibility.

Please let me know if any details needed. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.