Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Caitlin_Knox
Advocate III
Advocate III

Passing Date Filter

I have a problem that I can't quite figure out the answer to. I am trying to create an Events ROI report that essentially just shows stats of a person after they have attended an event. Right now, we have the Events listed in a multi select field in their profile. So it could be that they attend more than one. For this reason, I've copied the query, split the column, and unpivoted the id- then created the relationship back to the profile.

I'm playing around with this new drill trhough feature and love the idea of being able to select a line item in the table and see the stats around that category. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how to pass through a date filter. Like, if they choose 'ABC Event' it can look to see when that event was and filter the results of the drillthrough page to show only data after that date.

My first though is maybe a function, but I don't know where to start.

Any help is greatly appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
jo_mandy
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem and it seems to be specific to the data type 'Date'. All other filters on my drillthrough page work fine except the date. 

I have 3 filters that work as expected and they are all of data type text. When I use the new 'drillthrough' feature I can see the report is filtering correctly, but on the date field it is not picking up the value from the initial page. If I change my date field to type 'text' it works as expected. 

Based on this assessment it seems to be a bug with the feature specifically related to the date type. 

Could someone from Microsoft please confirm if this is a known bug? 

You really get other filters from the source view passed in with the drillthrough? I'm asking because that feature does not seem to have beed implemented yet?

Go in and vote.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/31363117-include-report-filters-i...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/31472473-drill-through-that-consi...

jo_mandy
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem and it seems to be specific to the data type 'Date'. All other filters on my drillthrough page work fine except the date. 

I have 3 filters that work as expected and they are all of data type text. When I use the new 'drillthrough' feature I can see the report is filtering correctly, but on the date field it is not picking up the value from the initial page. If I change my date field to type 'text' it works as expected. 

Based on this assessment it seems to be a bug with the feature specifically related to the date type. 

Could someone from Microsoft please confirm if this is a known bug? 

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Caitlin_Knox,

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how to pass through a date filter.

Have you tried also adding the corresponding Date column to Drillthrough filters on the Drillthrough page?

Based on my understanding, if the Date column is added to Drillthrough filters, the filtered date value should be passed to the Drillthrough page. Smiley Happy

r1.PNG

Regards

Yes, I did add the corresponding event date there thinking it would do as you say. However, it looks like its filtering on the Company- not necessarily the date.

I created a Sample File (HERE) with all my data points populated with sample data. These are how I have my relationships set up and also the calculated columns I've added. If someone could take a look and maybe point out if I'm missing a step and this is why its not working, I'd really appreciate it. What I'm really expecting to happen is that when an events is selected on page 1 and drill through selected, I want it to show all Orders/Quotes AFTER that date. like I said, its supposed to be an ROI type report. I feel like I'm close, but missing a step or two

Hi, I think i found your issue.
If you go into your drillthrough page, remove the preset filters you have in the "Drilltrhough" filter value. From there, the appropriate dates should be selected and passed through.

If you  have preset drillthrough page filters you'll find it starts to conflict (I think).

**Edit**
I've had some issued with this workflow in one of my own dashboards as well (ie. dates not passing properly when context is set by a date slicer). My best solution so far is to use a custom column that creates a String-formatted "Date Filter" column (you can do this by concatenating some of the string-fields from a date-dimension table). I then make sure to use the string-formatted date period in the x-axis, and use the string-formatted date as the "drillthrough filter" item in the drillthrough page.

I don't have preset filters. The filters are populated when the drill through is initiated from Page 1. But the next step would making it all the dates 'after' the related date of the event.

after.pngbefore.png

Sorry, that's my garbage reading skills coming into play.

I think what you need to do is write a DAX formula that will calculate the SUM of MRC, while taking into consideration the filtered date context that has been passed along.

Maybe something like this?

__MRC Total = CALCULATE(SUM(Orders[MRC]),
DATESBETWEEN('Events Slicer'[DateValue],FIRSTDATE('Events Slicer'[DateValue]),NOW()))

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.