Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pillz_
Frequent Visitor

Pass parameter into Web Source URL based on another parameter

I have a Projects table that contains the project's ID and Name that's imported as a Web Source. The URL and contents imported are generated from the site's REST APIs.  (URL.com/projects.xml). Each project has many issues objects associated with it which can be pulled via: (URL.com/issues.xml?project_id=X)

My end goal is to have the issues objects datatable dynamically change based on the project selected by the user. 

Currently, I have 2 parameters for both ID and Name. Based on the Name parameter changed by the user, I want to pass that project's ID that matches the name selected into the URL to pull the issues for that project: (URL.com/issues.xml?project_id=ID_Param).  

Is this doable in PowerBI or will I have to import all the issues in a seperate table (URL.com/issues.xml)

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You have two ways you could go on this:

1. Make queries that have parameters for ID and project as inputs, save it as a template file (pbit).  When each user opens the pbit, they will be prompted to select project and/or ID and then the data will load.

2. Recommended - load all the data into your model.  Starting with a table of projects and ID values, you can concatenate each into web calls, and then expand that column of tables for the fields you want to append all the data.  Then have a slicer for the use to filter to the desired projects and/or IDs.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.