Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tecumseh
Helper II
Helper II

Pass Parameters to SQL Queries

Hi all,
I am trying to pass parameters to a SQL Query

I found this article by Chirs Webb

I have parameters in Power Query from a Parameter Table on my worksheet. Both parameters show as a calendar icon in Power Query

I set up a Test Database on SQL Server and entered 3 dates and sales amount
1/31/2023, 200
2/1/2023, 100
2/28/2023, 300

I then edited Chris's code based on my database and parameters, but nothing was returned - no data, errors, or messages.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

let
Source = Sql.Database("localhost", "Yeti"),
Test = Value.NativeQuery(
Source,
"SELECT * FROM sales
WHERE salesdate >= @start
AND
salesdate <= @stop",
[start=Begin_Date , stop=End_Date])
in
Test

Thanks,

-w

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tecumseh
Helper II
Helper II

Created the ODBC Connection to Google Big Query and configured it per Admin. Added a simple SQL Statement to the ODBC Query in PQ.
Had already created a parameter table and I brought in Begin_Date as a date parameter in Power Query.
Opened the advanced editor and edited the SQL String as this:

Source = Odbc.Query("dsn=GoogleBigQuery", "#standardSQL#(lf)#(lf)select *#(lf)#(lf)from `server.database.table`#(lf)#(lf)where date between '" & Date.ToText(Begin_Date,"YYYY-MM-DD") & "' and '" & Date.ToText( Date.EndOfMonth(Begin_Date),"YYYY-MM-DD") & "'"),

Where Begin_Date is the name of the date parameter coming from the parameter table.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tecumseh
Helper II
Helper II

Created the ODBC Connection to Google Big Query and configured it per Admin. Added a simple SQL Statement to the ODBC Query in PQ.
Had already created a parameter table and I brought in Begin_Date as a date parameter in Power Query.
Opened the advanced editor and edited the SQL String as this:

Source = Odbc.Query("dsn=GoogleBigQuery", "#standardSQL#(lf)#(lf)select *#(lf)#(lf)from `server.database.table`#(lf)#(lf)where date between '" & Date.ToText(Begin_Date,"YYYY-MM-DD") & "' and '" & Date.ToText( Date.EndOfMonth(Begin_Date),"YYYY-MM-DD") & "'"),

Where Begin_Date is the name of the date parameter coming from the parameter table.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are you trying to supply lists of values?  You need to distinguish between single item parameters and list type parameters, and modify your SQL accordingly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.