Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Parsing slicer value to another slicer for another table

Hi there,

I have a date slicer (slicer 1) created using a field from Table 1. When a user selects a date range in slicer 1, I would like to parse this value to slicer 2 that was created to filter Table 2. Is it possible to parse a value from one slicer to another slicer? I have already tried existing forum solutions such as creating third table with the date column only and then creating a relationship between Table 3 and Table 1 & 2 based on the date column, however this didn't work because I have another active relationship from Table 1 & 2 to other tables which I need to keep. 

Many thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vahid,

Thanks for your prompt response! here is my attempt at illustrating my question. I have Table 1 with StartTime field which I have used to create Slicer 1 (StartTime). If a user selects a date range from Slicer 1 I was hoping to pass this value to Slicer 2 (StartTime2) that is a StartTime field from Table 2. Currently there is a relationship between Table 1 & table 2 based on the ClientID field in both tables because I want to return a list of workers in Table 2 based on the selected Client ID in Table 1. Unfo the date selected in Table 1 doesn't filter to Table 2 based on this relationship and when I tried to create another link using the StartTime the result does not filter based on Client ID and StartTime which is my goal. 

Table 1 & Table 2Table 1 & Table 2Slicer 1 from Table 1Slicer 1 from Table 1

Slicer 2 from Table 2Slicer 2 from Table 2

Hi @Anonymous 

If you want to filter by date, you need to have a calendar or date table in your report and relate those tables to that calendar table.

After you add a calendar table and add a new relationships, keep the relationship between Table 1 & Table 2 based on the ClientID field but deactivate that and use USERELATIONSHIP in your measures to find the result based on that relationship.

If you want to add a calendar table to your report, see this link to add it with three steps:

https://www.vahiddm.com/post/creating-calendar-table-with-3-steps

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Vahid!

What if I need to display records in Table 2 where both relationships ie Client ID and Date is active? I won't be using a measure but returning a table. 

I did not get your point very well, but you can not have 2 active relationships between 2 tables.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you add a sample of data or describe your result with more details? 

Do you want to change the slicer 2 items based on the selected items on slicer 1? how do you want to set the slicer 2? do you want to add a column or data from table 1 to it or from table 2?

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.