Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kirvis
Helper I
Helper I

Parse API key from sheet in Powerquery headers

Hello all,

I am querying a REST API in Get & Transform (FKA PowerQuery) in Excel 2016, and I want to parse the API key from a Parameter sheet in Excel.

If I hardcode the API key in the query as part of the headers, all works fine, but if I import it from the sheet and try to use the imported value in the query, I get an authentication failure.

This works:

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://app.url.io/api/", [Headers=[Authorization="Basic APIKEY"]]))
in
Source

This also works:

let
API_key = "APIKEY",
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("app.url.io/api/", [Headers=[Authorization="Basic "&API_key]]))
in
Source

And this does not work:

let
//API key from parameter table
API = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="API_key"]}[Content],
API_key = API{0}[Column1],
//
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://app.url.io/api/", [Headers=[Authorization="Basic "&API_key]]))
in
Source

Any ideas on what is going on here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for your message.

After doing some additional digging, I was able to find a different and better solution: I am now not parsing the API key in a sheet and importing it as a parameter into Power Query, but I am using the credentials dialog with Basic authentication.

Advantage is that the API is now neither stored in a sheet, nor in the quer, which makes it a whole lot safer.

Thanks!

Bas

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kirvis,

I am not specific about Power BI developer. After research, hope the following threads and article are useful.

Power BI embedded POSTMAN Rest API HTTP Request - help

Calling REST APIs and Parsing JSON made simple with Power BI 
Specifying JSON Query in Power Query – Example Statistics Sweden

You'd better post your case to dedicated forum to get professional support.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for your message.

After doing some additional digging, I was able to find a different and better solution: I am now not parsing the API key in a sheet and importing it as a parameter into Power Query, but I am using the credentials dialog with Basic authentication.

Advantage is that the API is now neither stored in a sheet, nor in the quer, which makes it a whole lot safer.

Thanks!

Bas

Hi @kirvis,

Congratulations, you have found the solution by yourself. Please mark your workaround as answer, so more people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.