Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bwsmith
Frequent Visitor

Parent Child Drill-through

I have a set of employee information, standard data set ID, Name, Position, etc

I also have a cross reference table with ID and Manager ID

In Power BI I can create 2 pages within a report

- A list of employees for the company (filters on Department, Location etc.)

- A Detailed page for an individual with a drillthrough filter of ID

On the Detailed page I have areas for:

- The employee's details.

- The employee's Manager

- The employee's direct reports (other employees that have them as a manager).

This is working very well 🙂 

What i would like to do is provide an additional drilltrough's for the manager and the direct reports, using their IDs, to the exact same page (or maybe a copy) that will show the details of that employee.

Is it possible to "map" the Manager or Direct employee's ID to the ID on the drill through filter on the page?

2 REPLIES 2
Bwsmith
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for response and the link. I have seen it before. 

It works well when drilling through from 1 "entity" to another type of "entity".

I have used that technique to establish the drill-through from the "index" page, the list of employees, to the employee detail page using the Employee ID.

The issue is with providing a drill-through on the detail page, to details of either the Manager or one of direct reports. Effectively I need to use the manager ID or the Employee ID of the direct report for that drill through.

The method described in the link requires the same ID to be used from the source tab to the target tab.

While i can do it by creating another (Identical) page and providing relationships in the model to another copy of the employee table, I would need to do that for each level that is expected.

This type of parent/child relationship is "recursive" and the number of levels is unknown. I was looking for a technique that uses a small number of "moving parts" in order to achieve it.

Being able to map the (new) Employee IDs from the Source Tab to the Target Tab drillthrough filter would have been one way, but does not seem possible.

Another way is to establish relationships between 2 copies of the employee and the cross reference tables and have 2 identical tabs, however the relationship builder does not allow for the circular relationship that is needed.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bwsmith ,

Firstly here's the official document about drill through for your reference: 

Set up drillthrough in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

You can follow the steps to set up, if you still need detailed help, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.