Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sopanda
Frequent Visitor

Parent-Child Attribute/Field AzureDevOps/VSTS

Hello,

I'm currently using the Azure DevOps/VSTS connector to pull data into PBI.  I was wondering if there was a way we could pull an attribute/field from a child/related WIT into the parent WIT? The attribute or field does not exist in the parent WIT so I'm guessing when we obtain the child/related attribute it'll be in a new column for the parent to be used.

For example, the child/related WIT has the color attribute that contains "Blue". The parent WIT does not have the color attribute assoicate to it. We take the child/related WIT attribute and create a new column that the parent WIT can use containing the color.

I know that creating the same field in the parent WIT would make things easier but that is not an option for me.

4 REPLIES 4
arsaveli
Helper I
Helper I

This should be possible to do as Analytics parent/child work items relationship.

However, since there can be multiple children you will not get the result in a simple one-column structure - it will be a complex object. It may be possible to just take first non-empty one, but either way you need to decide what to do if there are multiple children.

Hey thanks for replying!

So in my data I have the parent work ids for child WITs. Is there a way for me to capture data from the parent WIT and apply it to the child in a new column?

I tired the following formula but it returned nothing to me. Seems like the formula I wrote will return the false result which would be returning nothing.

Custom Column =

IF('Work Item Fields'[Work Item Type]="Child WIT", IFERROR(LOOKUPVALUE('Work Item Fields'[Team Name],'Work Item Fields'[Work ID],'Work Item Fields'[Parent Work Item Id]),"ERROR"),"")

Hi @Sopanda 

Sample data and expected output will be helpful to provide an accurate solution.Could you follow the How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly to post your simplified assumed data and expected output?

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Sopanda 

Please have a look at this article.I would suggest you post your question here to get more professional help.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.