Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KarenL7
Advocate II
Advocate II

Parameters

I have a report which uses parameters in Power BI Desktop which I have successfully set up, but I need some help how to get them to work in the Power BI Service after I have published it?

We are trying to replicate some of our SSRS reports which have parameters so it will filter the report on opening.  The use of filters / slicer on the report in this instance will not work for the report(s) in question.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KarenL7 ,

You can review and edit some parameter settings in the Power BI service -- not parameters that restrict the available data, but parameters that define and describe acceptable values.

1. In Power BI service, select the cog icon to open Settings.

2. Select the tab for Datasets and highlight a dataset in the list.

3. Expand Parameters. If the selected dataset has no parameters, you'll see a message with a link to Learn more about query parameters. But if the dataset does have parameters, expanding the Parameters heading will reveal those parameters.Review the parameter settings and make changes if needed. Greyed out fields aren't editable.

parameter.png

You can also refer this article about parameters: Power BI Parameters – How to Use & Update Parameters in the Power BI Service 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yingjl 

I dont think that this article answers my question?  I am unsure 

When we are the power Bi service I cannot see an option to change the parameters when the report is opened.  If you Edit report there is no option on the bar to Edit parameter like there is in Power BI Desktop (which is Edit Queries > Edit Parameter).  This way the user could input the choices. 

Our users are used to SSRS which we are migrating a number of reports from which have input parameters when they run the reports from.  Therefore we are looking for the similar feature (we can see in Desktop but cannot see in the service). Please can you help me see where the options are in the power Bi service to run the parameters in the service exactly the same as the desktop?

Thanks

Karen

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak  Thanks for coming back to me but I dont think  that this answers my question.

I am trying to find out when the Power BI reports are published how a user can access the Parameters are set up in Power BI Desktop? This is so the user can filter the report themselves.  (As mentioned before we are not going to be using slicers or filters on the report) 

Are they able to use parameters similar Power BI Desktop when viewing the report i.e. is there an option to run the parameter on opening the report? 

Otherwise is it possible when the report is first opened for it to be parameter driven similar to an SSRS report.  For example parameters are available when the report is run - This is an example only - 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.