Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

solarnstorage
Regular Visitor

Parameters setting other parameters

Hi,

I want to show specific weather data for one city at a time, among a list of different cities, as requested by the user. The data grab works through a URL that has a numerical code for a specific city. I have parameterized the data grab with these numerical codes, where I can choose which numerical code gets fed to the URL link. However, I want to be able to let the user make a selection based on city name (ex. New York, which has a specific associated numerial code), and that to set the numerical value parameter that feeds into the data grab.

Wondering if that's possible?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You must be quite close because haven't you already edited your M code to append the number (which is in the parameter) to the URL?

You then have to add a line before 'Source = ..... ' in the advanced editor of your query which creates a new variable, something like           CityNo = if CityParameter = "Webster" then "4954677" else if CityParameter = "Mayer" then "5036896"

You then use CityNo in the URL which gets assigned in the 'Source =' line.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @solarnstorage,

Could you please offer me some sample data and post your desired result if possible?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think HotChilli has the right idea, I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

My table looks like this:

Untitled.png

The parameter I want the user to be able to filter the data with is the city name: Webster or Mayer. But the value I have to pass to as a parameter to the URL is the numerical code (4954677 for Webster). I don't know how to connect that together.

Thanks!

You must be quite close because haven't you already edited your M code to append the number (which is in the parameter) to the URL?

You then have to add a line before 'Source = ..... ' in the advanced editor of your query which creates a new variable, something like           CityNo = if CityParameter = "Webster" then "4954677" else if CityParameter = "Mayer" then "5036896"

You then use CityNo in the URL which gets assigned in the 'Source =' line.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Should be possible, I think.  Set up the parameter to pick from a list of cities instead of codes (which presumably you are doing at the moment) If you write M code to translate the value of the parameter from the city to a numerical code, then append the code to the URL.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.