Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimmcslim
Helper III
Helper III

Parameters and limiting rows in related tables?

Is it possible to use parameters in the following way? (Assuming Import mode).

1. Master table (e.g. CustomerId, CustomerCode) is filtered to have only one row where the row matches the value of a parameter (e.g. CustomerCode = 'X'). This works.

2. Child table is related to master via CustomerId (e.g. Child table has ChildId, CustomerId, ChildData columns).

3. I expect Child table to automatically only import the rows where CustomerId equals the CustomerId of the row on the Master table that is included in the filter, but it seems that the filter on the Master table doesn't impact rows in the child tables?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jimmcslim,

Yes that's true. I have faced this scenario before also quite a couple of times.

I guess this is because of the order of precedence of the activities happening in the power bi.

i.e. Your relationships are built even before your filter based on parameter is applied

To solve this just merge the parent table with child table and expand only the columns from the parent table that you need and/or on which you want to apply the filter. Once expanded, apply the filter based on parameter to that column.

By merging, you solve two things.

1. You can make the datasets to only one instead of two 

2. If at all you feel that you want the tables to be separate, then this merger will help you with just filtering the child table based on parameter

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jimmcslim,

Yes that's true. I have faced this scenario before also quite a couple of times.

I guess this is because of the order of precedence of the activities happening in the power bi.

i.e. Your relationships are built even before your filter based on parameter is applied

To solve this just merge the parent table with child table and expand only the columns from the parent table that you need and/or on which you want to apply the filter. Once expanded, apply the filter based on parameter to that column.

By merging, you solve two things.

1. You can make the datasets to only one instead of two 

2. If at all you feel that you want the tables to be separate, then this merger will help you with just filtering the child table based on parameter

@Thejeswar : Yes, after a little further exploration this seems to be my solution. The Query Editor identifies the child table as being related to the parent table and offers to expand some or all of those columns into the child table. Then I can implement the same row filter on the child table as is present on the master table.

It's a little odd that it works this way, and would be good if there was a way to say to Power BI to filter out related rows at the dataset level. But I can achieve my objective now I think!

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @jimmcslim

What do you mean by parameter?  Do you mean a filter set by a slicer, or the what if parameter?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors