Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Parameters? Importing data that does not delete existing Import

Hi,

Hope you can help, i am looking to create a data import query that imports new data on ever scheduled refresh from the source, the source only has one date and value each day but replaces with new date and value  each day. But i am looking for the import to keep each previous data import so the parameter table will will begin to build rows of history so i can analyse the data over a time period

Does anyone know the query/or parameter for this? (The source data only shows date and value as at todays date, and overrides each day)

Source Data looks like this  PBI  table should look like this  
DateValue DateValue 
27/11/20218900 23/11/20216345 
   24/11/20216213 
   25/11/20216789 
   26/11/20214621 
   27/11/20218900 

Can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

While this is technically possible via incremental refresh, Power BI is not designed to be used as a database to store historical data and chances are high that you'll accidentally lose this data if you don't store it somewhere other than in a Power BI dataset.

Figure out a way to save your daily source data somewhere you won't lose it and connect Power BI to that source instead. There are lots of solutions for storing and updating data and Power BI isn't the right tool for that particular job.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

The best and sheapest way to achieve it is to add a view in the source to store the historical date and then use that view in Power bi. Otherwise you will need Premium Capacity License to use Incremental refresh in Power bi.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amine

Thankyou for your reply, when you say 'add a view', do you mean add a column to the source which then gives date of import? can you give advise of exactly what you mean and how the PBI import then keeps the data from the previous import?

Cheers Dan,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.