Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sprasad
Helper II
Helper II

Parameterize sql query programatically

Hi,

I have a Power BI template file which has saved query. e.g ("Select Employee name where emp id > "Variable"). Programatically using C# I need to silently instantiate the PBIT file and pass a Value (say 1200) to the "Variable" in the query. My question is, how I can achieve passing the Value of 1200 to the "Variable" variable in the saved query? Any API 

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sprasad,

Based on my research, you could refer to below link:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-edit-an-existing-direct-query/td-p/217857

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am looking for a proper API code where programatically I can accept a value from an existing text or xls file and input it in the existing query in the PBIT file and create my data visualization

I know the way how to do this porcess manually but I wanted to automate the whole process.

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you using Direct Query? If not, do you need to use the template?
In imported mode you can reference a text file in the Query Editor, so even though it's the same query from PowerBI perspective you can effectively use it as a parameter

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Let me explain it better.

1. I have a PBIT file which contains a query.  This PBIT file is created using the Standalone Power BI Desktop. This query fetches the records from the SQL Server table based on the ProductVersion.

2. ProductVersion is now the parameterized field for me in the query and the input to the ProductVersion will change whenever needed. The query is like "Select * from ProductData where ProductVersion = '"&ProductVersion&"'

3. Once I invoke the PBIT file I will get the below dialog.

Capture.PNG

4. In the ProductVersion I can manualy input the value as 1001 and click Load and the data/visualization gets loaded.

5. I am using the data Connectivity mode as "Import".

My requirement:

In another C# program I need to read the SQL Server tables and check for the version no '1001' and store it in a variable. I can do this.

1. Using Power BI APIs or any other process/technique I need to pass the Value '1001 from the variable silently to the Power BI query mentioned in Step 2. I am looking for help or idea on how to achieve this.

All this I need to do in the Power BI Desktop only.

Any clue or solution for the above?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.