Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

athhar
Frequent Visitor

Parameter take effect on query but won't change its own display

Hi,

I created parameter which is used to filter the query then display the filtered table along with the parameter itself.

Changing the parameter from Power Query works fine -even changing from the service also works fine- it changes the query and resulting table... BUT, somehow the parameter value displayed in the report does not change. Any idea to fix?

athhar_1-1609391877355.png

athhar_0-1609391730244.png

Thanks in advance!

Hanief

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @athhar 

You can update the parameter on the Card visual by the following solutions:

Update in Power BI Desktop:

Solution 1 Refresh data on the table contains the parameter

v-cazheng-msft_0-1609724416677.png

Solution 2 Refresh visuals in the report by Refresh in the Home ribbon

v-cazheng-msft_1-1609724416678.png

Update in Power BI Service:

Using Refresh now to refresh the dataset and then Refresh visuals in the report

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks it works, although not precisely as expected. Direct-query allows me to change parameter and when the report opens it is already filtered as per parameter value. The parameter shown in card needs additional steps to refresh-data then refresh-visual to reflect its changes. I guess this is Power BI current limitation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kunal_patel16

hi @athhar ,

May I please know how did you manage to make the parameters work in Power BI service? I created a similar parameter 'StartDate' and I am passing it in my Direct Query (DQ fetches data from backend) and it does change the number of record it fetches on Power BI Desktop. But when I publish on Power BI service and change the parameter there, there is no effect on Dataset even if I do an explicit refresh.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @athhar 

You can update the parameter on the Card visual by the following solutions:

Update in Power BI Desktop:

Solution 1 Refresh data on the table contains the parameter

v-cazheng-msft_0-1609724416677.png

Solution 2 Refresh visuals in the report by Refresh in the Home ribbon

v-cazheng-msft_1-1609724416678.png

Update in Power BI Service:

Using Refresh now to refresh the dataset and then Refresh visuals in the report

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks it works, although not precisely as expected. Direct-query allows me to change parameter and when the report opens it is already filtered as per parameter value. The parameter shown in card needs additional steps to refresh-data then refresh-visual to reflect its changes. I guess this is Power BI current limitation.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@athhar ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Sure @amitchandak . Let me do it step by step.

1. In Power Query, create parameter pOwner, Text, value=amy, Enable load to make it visible in reporting

2. Load table from Azure, direct-query, "select * from items where belongs_to='" & pOwner & "'". This will filter out the result to be used by reporting

3. In Power BI, create a table to show the query result and a card to display the pOwner parameter value

4. All looks fine at this point, table and card shows correctly

5. Edit parameter to "adam"

6. Table refreshes to show items for "adam" --> correct, but card still displays "amy"

Sample data as below

insert into items (item_code, belongs_to, quantity) values ('brown bag','adam',10);
insert into items (item_code, belongs_to, quantity) values ('silver watch','adam',2);
insert into items (item_code, belongs_to, quantity) values ('black tie','adam',3);
insert into items (item_code, belongs_to, quantity) values ('tuxedo','adam',3);
insert into items (item_code, belongs_to, quantity) values ('necklace','amy',4);
insert into items (item_code, belongs_to, quantity) values ('hand bag','amy',5);
insert into items (item_code, belongs_to, quantity) values ('high heels','amy',3);

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.