Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Parameter from Web

Hi,

I have a user requirement to filter the dashboard by parameter that the user will enter from WEB.

Right now i have a desktop dashboard that i developed.

What is the best approach to accomplish this requirement?

Thanks,

Eran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

well if you must forego the "user enters their email"....  and instead think of users in terms of their known identity.  In Pro License your users are invited/licensed with their email part of that ID.

So when a user logs in to look at a visual (and I'm talking PBI Service - not desktop) then one can definitely implement Row Level Security (RLS) that only presents the data for them.  There is a whole bunch of info on/around RLS implementation - and some good videos with examples.

Otherwise for a user to dynamically filter stuff - the implementation is via a Slicer visual; and in which case you must set up their choice selection.

www.CahabaData.com

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I'll add the high level comment that Power BI has no ability for a user to enter any data.  They must select filters from data you, the developer, provide to them to choose from.

I believe this is true for most BI products in general though I'm not certain.

www.CahabaData.com
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

There is only parameter feature in Power BI desktop used to filter resource table. Based on your description, I am still confusing your scenario, the parameter you said is the parameter posted in the link above? And you want the user enter from the WEB, the WEB refer to Power BI service? If it is, there is no parameter feature in Power BI service. Here is a feature request, you can vote it. Or your requirement is similar with this one?

IF you create a report in desktop, and publish it to PBI service, you can create a slicer filter your report.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Thanks for your answer,

WEB refer to power BI service, i understand from your answer that parameter feature  is not included in PB service.

My requirement is to let the end users enter their email and filter the dashboard by that email.

Can you think on a workaround maybe to accomlish this?

Regards,

Eran

well if you must forego the "user enters their email"....  and instead think of users in terms of their known identity.  In Pro License your users are invited/licensed with their email part of that ID.

So when a user logs in to look at a visual (and I'm talking PBI Service - not desktop) then one can definitely implement Row Level Security (RLS) that only presents the data for them.  There is a whole bunch of info on/around RLS implementation - and some good videos with examples.

Otherwise for a user to dynamically filter stuff - the implementation is via a Slicer visual; and in which case you must set up their choice selection.

www.CahabaData.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

The RLS is probably what i've been looking for.

Eran

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.