Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidBenaim
Frequent Visitor

Parameter from Excel list not giving drop down menu (seems like a bug)

I want to have a cell/list in Excel which is the source of a parameter, so the user can overwrite the Excel cell and then change the folder path to extract data from. I get the same issue if I make a new query from PowerBI Desktop and from excel's Power Query.

When I create the data in excel> Convert to table> New query from there>Drill down query (to make it a list)> New parameter & choose this list. It doesn't give me a drop down, it seems to completely disregard the fact that I have a query set as the parameter and act as a free type text box. Either I am missing something or this is a bug. Any suggestions?parameter from query bug.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hopefully the ability to set parameters from the Web Service will appear soon.  This could be very handy.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You will get a dropdown list if you change the parameter via "Edit Parameters".

Otherwise I agree with you: it is strange that a dropdown is not available for "Current Value" on the "Manage Parameters" screen.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks, yes I checked the "Manage parameters", and just clicking the "parameters" option, but not gone to the "Edit parameters" one, that does seem to work - thanks. 

I do think its something that was forgotten about in the user interface though!

Hopefully the ability to set parameters from the Web Service will appear soon.  This could be very handy.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.