Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aakgun
Frequent Visitor

Parameter User Interface for Stored Procedures

Hi all,

I want to ask a specific report usage question about Power BI.

We have dealing with a migration of some SSRS reports to Power BI. In this case, we use Stored Procedures as data sources and we can load result of SPs to Power BI reports by success.

But at this point we use parameterized Stored Procedures, so we need to pass input parameters to these SPs then list the result in PowerBI..

I could use, Power BI Query Parameters, but these parameters I thnik is limited to predefined List of Values or Free Texts, also we could not list all of the parameter values in Report Visual Objects, only selected parameter in Query Editor is listed in the Power Bı report visual objects.

My question is about,

1.how to display all the parameter values in Report screen so that the user can select their parameters

2. How can we populate the paramater values dynamically without using the predefined List of Values of free texts values.

As far as my reasearches I could not find proper documentation for buiding paratemeterized reports for Power BI,

Is these parameter features partially supported ? or we need to have some more guidance or documentation ?

Any feedbacks are appreciated. Thanks fou your hep in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
xenod

What is the status of dynamic query parameters for SQL stored procedures today? 

We have a requirement to show data only for a certain production order and are currently allowing the user to enter the order number in our SSRS report.

@aakgun 

You are correct, only a current static list of values is accepted, but based on this blog it appears that future functionality to create a dynamic list of values is coming (Under the "Parameter Accepted Values" section.

1) You would have to use slicers (these allow you to filter the visuals)

2) You are correct, only a current static list of values is accepted, but based on this blog it appears that future functionality to create a dynamic list of values is coming (Under the "Parameter Accepted Values" section.

I haven't found a way to dynamically pass parameters into a stored procedure call... There are a couple open threads that are still discussing this.

What purpose do the parameters serve at the moment? Is there a reason you wouldn't expose all the data and allow the end user to use slicers? One of the great advantages of tools like Power BI is that you can throw alot more data at end users and allow them to slice and dice on their own rather than having to restrict to certain criterias due to processing time/amount of info as we do in SSRS reports.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Same situation here, if this is not available it is a big let down. I have been tasked to evaluate PowerBI and I have brought up this issue to my IT Manager. 

But I will try the slicer approach.

Thanks!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.