Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jochenj
Advocate II
Advocate II

Paginated Reports with PBI Dataset - which permissions needed when publishing an App?

Szenario:

- I created with Report Builder a paginated Report, it has two datasources: AzureAS + PBI Dataset published in Workspace1

- I created a App1 in Workspace1 which includes the paginated Reports

Issue:

- Endusers, which are only granted permissions to the App are NOT able to open this report and get "connection to analysis services" not possbile!  --> When i remove the 2.Datasource (PBI Dataset) from the paginated report the reports start working wor endusers! So the issue is definitive related to missing enduser-permissions for the dataset inside the workspace

- If i set FULL/BUILD permissions for the user on the dataset this is NOT working

- If i share the paginated report (without app publishing) to the enduser this is also NOT working

- If i add the enduser as a member to the workspace the problem is SOLVED

Questions:

Which permissions needs to be set for endusers to be able to use the paginated report via app publishing and without the need to give the user workspace permissions?

Research:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-build-permissions --> This page highlights that the report builder author needs at leas BUILD permissions for the dataset. But no hint which permissions are needed for endusers consuming the paginated report 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jochenj
Advocate II
Advocate II

found the issue! 🙂

If the dataset has RLS defined you MUST add the enduser in pbi-service to a RLS role, otherwise you get not as expected an empty dataset result but instead this generic error "cannot connect". 

The enduser is good with "read" permissions on the dataset (no workspace permissions needed)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Daviejoe
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @jochenj 

Great to hear you found a solution, I've had to learn and create a few Power BI Paginated Reports this year and I've learned a lot in terms of how to build them, parameters, visuals etc.

Good to meet another 'Paginator' for future reach outs!

David

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

hi @Daviejoe , great, good to know that there are some more paginators  out there 😉  Also learned a lot in my recent activitites. I started long time ago with SQL SSRS2000 but found that there is still a bigger "update learning" needed for pbi paginated reports 😉

Currently i'm struggling with GLobals!RenderFormat variable (https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/sql/reporting-services/report-design/built-in-collections-built-in-...)  That seems not to working in paginated reports 😞 used it a lot in SSRS times to control visible/hide of textboxes... when exporting to excel... but when using with paginated reports this is just without any effect.  Maybe you also did run in this issue already? is yes please pn

Hey @jochenj 

I'm not sure I fully understand the last issue, can you explain a bit more please?

David

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

jochenj
Advocate II
Advocate II

found the issue! 🙂

If the dataset has RLS defined you MUST add the enduser in pbi-service to a RLS role, otherwise you get not as expected an empty dataset result but instead this generic error "cannot connect". 

The enduser is good with "read" permissions on the dataset (no workspace permissions needed)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.